40g build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I wouldn't worry about the toxicity as much as the fact that they would be predators. The toxicity in amphibians is not extremely potent. You wouldn't want to eat one. But the water will dillute it to the point it shouldn't hurt the fish. Fish eat them all the time. My point above was that they are toxic but meant to put more emphasis on the predation.

A newt may not be that bad. Depending on the size, there is still the chance it will eat a small fish but once the rasboras get older it probably won't be able to eat it. Newts aren't known to be the fastest creatures on earth either. Keep it fed well and it shouldn't be a problem.

One thing you do need to watch is keeping the newt's waste cleaned up. Amphibians and reptiles are nasty animals and their waste builds up fast. Their waste can very quickly foul water and draw little bugs. When I say "foul water", I mean FOUL WATER to the point it smells raunchy.

The ADF will definitely eat fish. Once they get up to quarter to half dollar size, they would make a meal out of a rasbora and would likely injure an even larger fish.

I also want to qualify the above by saying you would be far better off with a separate vivarium. If you had a 110 or something much bigger where you could have a much larger land area it might be more feasible. In that case, I would even look at poison dart frogs. Captive bred frogs aren't anymore toxic than regular old frogs. They are beautiful and wouldn't eat fish. They need a lot of space to more around though.

The reason I was going to go with newts is the fact that they dont need much land and they dont get that big

The reason I was going to go with newts is the fact that they dont need much land and they dont get that big
It may work fine. Just go into it knowing there is the chance it will eat fish. Also keep the cleanliness factor in mind. What kind of newt are you looking at - a fire bellied?

Yeah that's what I'm thinking....can't think of anything else that I could do that will go on land but them

Yeah that's what I'm thinking....can't think of anything else that I could do that will go on land but them
If you do it, make sure you give it plenty of hiding places. I would use some moss that can stay moist on the land area. Coconut shell halves make great little hiding places. Get all of the coconut out and cut a little door on one side like a little hut. You can also get some cork bark. They will crawl under it.

i still wouldnt suggest them,they get easily big enough to eat the rasboras

Thx for all the advice I will think it over...so I need to figure out my substrate and how much to buy any thoughts

So I found these lights will they work they are xenon 20 watt 120 volt 3"round puck lights they come in a3 pack so that's 60 watts total

Finished here is what I have
1 male betta
6 harlequin rasborias
3 amano shrimp
Java moss
Onion plant
2 moss balls
When time comes going to add some german rams and corys

What rocks did you use for this? I would like to build something similar in my tank to disperse the flow coming from my filters. I think I could make a really neat cave structure for my Bolv. Ram. but I have no idea where to get rock like this or what it is.

Back
Top Bottom