40gallon breeder

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

giffmastaflex

Aquarium Advice Freak
I'm getting a 40 gallon breeder and I'm curious what medium sized fish will thrive the best in that size tank? it's going to have a sand bottom and some plants

I had a gourami before but he ended up dying for some weird reason, all my other fish were healthy and they all ate, my parameters were great and all. If I were to get a gourami I think I would do the dwarf gourami but are they aggressive? I was also thinking of a African butterfly fish but I'm not totally sure

dwarf gouramis are only aggressive towards there own kind for the most part, though they are more prone to various diseases. and they have a unique one that can spread quickly called dwarf gourami iridovirus. A study was done that found that up to 22% of all dwarf gouramis coming from asia were infected.

this article talks about it at the bottom.

Aquarium Fish: Fish Viral Disease

i had 2 dwarf gouramis and both died with in 4 months, so i no longer keep them, i prefer the more hardy ones like blue or opaline gouramis

It's more of a cool looking fish tank lol I am wating to maybe stay with an African theme because I might be putting a leaf fish and feather fin cat but now I'm just looking at cool fish.

It's more of a cool looking fish tank lol I am wating to maybe stay with an African theme because I might be putting a leaf fish and feather fin cat but now I'm just looking at cool fish.

That's a broad definition and certainly open to interpretation lol

Ok well what I'm looking for is a fish that is colorful and is an eye catcher and will coexist with fish such as angelfish, rainbow shark, African featherfin cat, and African leaf, all of these fish will not be in the tank but those are the ones I am looking at at this moment, but I want a colorful fish that is sort of active and "fun". A blue or red fish would look cool. I will have a planted tank with a piece of drift as well

My suggestion earlier still stands. I have a rainbow shark and he doesn't bother my rams who I love. Once in a while he might chase but they stand their ground when flared so he typically passes on them. I think apistogramma caucataudes is a good idea also. I wouldn't keep a shark with the Africans as both are aggressive. Africans should really be by themselves IMO

Ok well what I'm looking for is a fish that is colorful and is an eye catcher and will coexist with fish such as angelfish, rainbow shark, African featherfin cat, and African leaf, all of these fish will not be in the tank but those are the ones I am looking at at this moment, but I want a colorful fish that is sort of active and "fun". A blue or red fish would look cool. I will have a planted tank with a piece of drift as well

You could try opaline and gold gourami. And like someone else said, they are only aggressive toward other gourami, but nothing serious. The opaline have nice color and they change color patterns.

Back
Top Bottom