45-50 Gallon Aquarium Heater and Watts

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

modestvolta

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
So I've finally had a chance to set up an aquarium I've had sitting around. I think I've found the heater I want to use (Aqueon Pro Submersible Aquarium Heater), but I'm not sure how powerful I need it to be.

The tank I have is a hexagon that's somewhere around 45 to 50 gallons (it's a 25 year old tank that we acquired when my dad bought a house and the old owner didn't feel like moving the tank!), so I think I need the heater to be around 200W, but I also keep my place fairly cool, so I don't know if I'll need a 250W heater to balance it out.

a) Is that a fair assumption to make, or should I stick with the 200W heater?
b) Any thoughts on other heaters are welcome! My only sticking point is that it be fully submersible.

And just out of curiosity, does a heater use its rated wattage all the time, or is it only when the heater is actively heating?

Thanks!

A heater is only using power when it is on. Lower wattage heaters will be on more than higher rated heaters, so as long as the heater can keep your tank at your selected temperature, you're good to go. However not all companies are completely honest about the ability of their heaters.

Personally, I like Jagar heaters. Older ones are Ebo Jager, all green, and were not rated submersible. The newer Ehiem Jagar are fully submersible and are awesome heaters.

Thanks! I'll check out those Eheims.

Is there any other advice on what size heater I should get?

I have a 55 Gallon and I use a Ehiem-Jager 250 watt. This is larger than what I need and you could easily use a 200 watt. However, it would depend on the overall temperature increase you need.

The reason I like the Jager's is that they use a thicker glass than any other heater in the industry, which will protect for breakage and create a better heat sink.

Depending on where you buy, you can look to spend between $20 and $25.

Back
Top Bottom