5.5 Gallon Questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

WatermelonMan

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello-
I got a 5.5 gallon tank 4 months ago. In it were immediately stocked 1 angelfish, 3 guppies, 2 snails, bamboo, and an algae eater (non-pleco). They all died.
I tried 3 guppies and two snails. They died.
I tried 4 neon tetras. They died.
Now, I have 2 basic female mollies and 2 snails. They have been living for about 2.5 months now together. I know that it takes 3 mollies for one tank. Would that be smart? I am already over the "1 inch per gallon rule."
What other fish besides bettas (I kinda hate them personally) can go in the tank?
Are there any other algae eaters that would work in the tank besides snails?
Should I get live plants?

I have had my water tested multiple times. It was high in either PH or Nitrites.

Thanks for your help! I appreciate it!

An angelfish in a 5.5 gallon? Yikes. My recommendation for a tank that small would be shrimp, snails, etc., with no fish. African dwarf frogs also make excellent and adorable additions to small tanks. Good low-care plants are: java fern, java moss, and anubias.

I cycled it for a day but I got the bacteria supplement.
Also, I don't know if temperature is a factor. The room that the fish tank is in doesn't have proper insulation and my heater doesn't really do much. If I had to guess, the tank temp is anywhere between 58-64 degrees.

You have literally everything wrong that you could. Research please....a lot.

29g Community

3g Betta

Don't worry we all make mistakes to some degree when we start. Just do some research on what fish you would like to keep. (Something hardy) and look how to properly cycle a tank. I would rehome your current stock until you have conditions that are safe enough for them.

For tropical fish temp should generally be 72-82. And the tank should be cycled preferably fish less.
Research cycling as well. It takes a little while but makes your tank work a lot better.

29g Community

3g Betta

What fish would you recommend? I really don't like just a tank of bettas or snails (they just seem slow and nonmoving and really boring)

I'm going to get a pair of scarlet badis soon. I'm not sure how suitable they are for a beginner, but it's an idea...

A 5.5 is an extremely difficult environment to control with any substantial bio load. Seems you've had a crash course in what not to do though;) perhaps consider a complete reboot on stocking. Return what you have.. start the research process and stock responsibly. It won't gauruntee success but it will certainly help!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Yeah totally. Well if you cycle properly and make sure your tank is stable there are all kinds of nano fish you could choose from!
Some that I've never had but tons of people do are Pygmy corys, there are a ton of variations of micro rasbora.

Celestial pearl danio
Scarlet badis
Otociclus
Pygmy sunfish

Any shrimp species besides the filter feeders. I like rcs Red cherry shrimp
And they are easy and very cool.

29g Community

3g Betta

Well that post was more based on a 10 so remove some of those. I forgot it was a 5.5

29g Community

3g Betta

A 10 gallon glass tank is $12 at Walmart, I would highly suggest one if you want to keep more than 2 fish. A heater for that size tank is about $20 and its essential in order to keep tropical fish. Do you have dechlorinator? Its a must, I would recommend prime but the tetra brand is cheaper. Get a 20 gal aqueon filter and you're ready to go.

In the unheated 5.5 gallon you have now all I can suggest is rehome your fish and use plants snails and a betta, although even they prefer a heater.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I made the same mistake you made. I bought a 5 gallon tank for my daughter and knew nothing about cycling, so I followed the advice given by the lfs (and the instructions that came with the tank). I let it sit for a couple of days and then stocked it with 3 fancy guppies, 2 glofish danios and 1 false julii cory. This was in October. They are all still alive and healthy. My tank is now fully cycled after I came to this forum for advice and learned a little (a lot). I should rehome some of them, but it is not an option for me right now, so I'm trying to make it work as it is. So far, no deaths and no illnesses. Also, I kept messing with water changes and cleaning the filter but the tank did not cycle until we went on vacation and I just left it alone for a whole week. Go figure.

Oh, if you want something entertaining, shrimp can be a good option. If I were to do it again, I would do a planted tank with just shrimp or maybe a couple of guppies.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Forgot to add that my temperature has been in the low to mid 70's the entire time, though. Yours seems too cold.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

How often do you clean the tank, Mar23?
You said that you stocked 3 fancy guppies, 2 glofish danios and 1 false julii cory.

Are you reading what people are saying or are you just too concerned about filling your tank up with more fish to kill ?

Bio supplement bottles don't really do anything trust me I used them a bunch of times to try and nope
A tank needs to properly cycle usually taking 3-4 weels.. good bacteria grow,... eat the ammonia and nitrites and make it stable for fish to live.. You need to read up on the cycling of a fish tank, and get yourself AT least some cheap test stripes.. but recommended API liquid tests

What you are doing is putting fish in with ammonia in the water and its like me throwing battery acid in your face no joke. A tank that size can only have like 5 or so smaller fish like guppies or neon tetra's or 1 betta and a couple neons.. Or maybe some Serpai tetra's.. But you need to cycle that tank that is why all your fish are dying.

Does it have a filter ? You also need a heater... go to walmart go to the fish section.. get a tetra 10-20g heater.. They are like $10-15 and automaticly put the tank at 78f I use 1 of these in each of my 4 smaller tanks and they are perfect.. You tank water is way to cold.. Also I suggest while you are at walmart you buy a $2 glass thermometer not those stick on ones.

You only clean the tank when it gets dirty... water changes are more important and you should be doing 20% a week or 50% every 2 weeks and make sure the water is the same temperature otherwise youll shock and kill the fish if its too hot or cold.. Also you need a declorinator like prime so when you change the water if you use city water you don't burn the fish with chlorine or kill all your good bacteria

If you have no filter.. then get a small Top fin Internal 10 filter from petsmart.

My tank was the TopFin 5.5 gallon starter tank kit. The filter was a TopFin 10.
Back when I was dumb, :)facepalm:) I got my water tested at Petsmart and it was super high in nitrates. The lady gave me these pellet things. Should I keep them in?
Also I use API stress coat +, API water purifier, and a little bit of salt.
Thanks guys for your help. I am dumb.

Back
Top Bottom