5 gallon tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

phoenixlady001

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have a very small aquarium. It is hard to keep clean. I cannot fit a regular syphon hose in there to clean the gravel. There has to be something else I can get to clean it. Suggestions please.

At Petco they sell something they called a Betta Bowl Cleaner or something along those lines, but it was basically a turkey baster with a blue top. You can try that, it's pretty time consuming though.

Also I just ordered off amazon a mini gravel vacuum that's supposed to be for small tanks, I can post a link to it when I get on a computer.. =) hope that helps

Here's the link for the little vacuum I ordered, I haven't gotten it yet so I don't know how well it works personally though: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0002APT0Y/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

=)

Last edited:
I was recently enlightened to a very handy tool for cleaning very small aquariums. I don't know if it will work for a tank that has substrate but it works fantastic for bare bottoms!
I almost forgot to write what it is lol! A turkey baster!

I've had the best luck with airline tubing since it keeps the syphon and doesn't drain the tank crazy fast.

I've seen mini siphon tubes for 1-5 gallon aquariums. I use it on my 2.5 gallon beta tank.

For my 5 gallon I use the air tubes for my bubbler. I had extra tubes from my big tank and figured I would try it. Although it sounds strange it really does work great, it will suck off stuff off the top of my sand great and of course the flow is not to fast and it's easy to stop it if I need to.

Back
Top Bottom