5 month old tank with too much algae

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

natmag05

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I received a 20 gallon tank in March and it has been doing quite well until recently. I have completed 25% water changes at least every two weeks and sometimes every week because of the amount of algae. It covers everything from the entire floor of the tank to the plastic plants. Even after cleaning you can see the algae reappearing within days.

The next time I change the water I am going to try moving the tank. It is in a room that gets some sun during the day but I have kept the blinds shut in an unsuccessful attempt to shade the tank. I read on one of the postings that you should keep a tank completely dark and not feed the fish for four days in order to help rid it of excess algae. I am not sure that this is appropriate for my situation. I am open to all suggestions on how to keep the tank looking better between cleanings.

type of algae

As a novice tank owner I have no idea what type of algae is taking over. . . I can tell you that it is dark green in color and is like a blanket across the bottom of the tank and on the plastic plants. When I use the gravel vac it comes up in sheets and makes a mess of the tank, then it will settles back down and continues to grow.

light

I was told that the tank would need a 12 hour light cycle. I turn it on in the morning when I feed them (around 7 am) and turn it off after dinner (about 7 pm) The tank is in a room with a window. I keep the blinds closed but it is getting filtered light for a few hours in the late afternoon. I am just using the bulb that came with the tank kit we bought.

If you don't have live plants just put the lights on when you are home and want to watch your fish. You do not need to keep them on for 12 hours if you do not have live plants.

Well that would have been a helpful piece of advice from the fish store guy!! I will definately do that from now on. Thery will only be on a few hours a day at most so hopefully that will cut down on some of the algae.

too keep the algae down you may also want to try to get Otos. They work very well in keeping the algae out of your tank. I replaced my plecos with otos and my tank has been very clean.

I can tell you this much..If it comes of in a blanket then its Cynobacteria. It really isn't algae. you need to treat it with an antibiotic. I have been threw this and did the black out etc..it still comes back and there is a nasty smell to it. anyhow here is what i used its called melafix It won't mess up your Bio and it worked on my tank just treat it for seven days and then do like a 50% water change. try and get as much out as you can. if you need to you can treat it longer. I did this a few months agon with my new tank and it hasn't come back. also all tanks go through this kinda stuff. here is a link to what I am talking about
http://www.bigalsonline.com/catalog/product.xml?product_id=28157&category_id=2233&pcid1=

hope this helps

I would try cleaning the tank and keeping the lights off most of the time, before you start throwing medicine in a tank, especially when you have no real evidence that there is any kid of infestation.

Back
Top Bottom