55 gal stocking help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Joefrommi65

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hi All,
I have a 55 gal tank and was wondering what kinds of fish would work with a pair of Firemouth Meeki's and some plants too. Also how many fish could I stock and some bottom feeders also.

Thanks Joe

:welcome: to the forum!! You've come to the right place! The recommended tank size for the two Firemouth's is 55 gallons so unless you do re-home the second firemouth, I wouldn't add anything. A bristlenose pleco would work, Giant Danio's, Silver Dollars would work, besides that >

im sure more people will give you more ideas. I have never owned a Firemouth before. :confused:

A 55g would be more than adequate for a pair of Thorichthys meeki, I'd also add a school of 7-9 tetras such as Hyphessobrycon anisitsi along with a bristlenose plec(or another one that stays under 6") and call it stocked. Really the only difficulty with meeki is sexing them is very difficult at a smaller size, so I would suggest purchasing 6-7 smaller juveniles then letting them pair naturally and rehome the rest.

Back
Top Bottom