55g ph spike and ammonia

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

daneek155

Aquarium Advice Activist
i have a problem.. i came home today and my ph on my tank was at 7.6 and the ammonia at .25
last monday the ph was 7.0 and 0 ammonia.
i have 3 german blue rams
2 blue rams
1 dwarf gourami
i pleco
2 rainbow rams
2 angels.

its a 55g tank. i have a quad t5 ho fixture 216 watts. no co2 and planted med.

my rams do chase each other around a little but not all the time.there gills flange up and they butt heads.
i do have alot of algae??? i just put this new light in last sunday. i have it on for 9 hr and 4 hr at night of the blue led light.

i feed once a day a little pinch. and the nitrate is .10 nitrite 0
Any idea on what could make this happen.
tank is 4 months old. the fish act fine swimming around happy. any help will help thanks

ok now my amonia looks like zero .. but ph is still at 7.6 when i checked it first that was after i put algeflex in

With 4xT5HO over a non-CO2 tank, I would expect you to have a good bit of algae growing. You will have to constantly dosing to keep your problems at bay. I've also heard of Algaefix causing some fish and plants to die.

well i just took one bulb out. thinking about using blackwater extract until i get a co2 set up. what you think about black water extract

so i decided to go with black water extract to lower my ph. i put it in like 2 days ago. my ph went down to about 6.5 than went back up to 7.5 than it dropped again and now its at 7.5....... i didnt add any new fish any ideas

would a ph of 7.4 be fine with my german blue rams????? i feel like im going to be stressing out the fish if i keep adding this blackwater extract

Back
Top Bottom