55g vs 40g long?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Visionist

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have a stand built for a 55g tank but nobody locally has any currently. I can get a 40g long for cheaper which would fit the stand but is obviously shorter in height.
I want to stock the tank with a leopard ctenopoma, kuhli loaches, a pair of apistos or kribs , a pair of angel fish and maybe something else interesting. The tank would be heavily planted. Should I just wait it out for a 55?

The 40 will be better for planting, it won't need as intense lighting. If you are set on angels though the 55 may be better for taller viney plants.

Last edited:
Why is that? Since they are both the same length and width. Wouldnt the 40 limit me in height plants?

Sent from my LG G2 using Aquarium Advice mobile app.

Why is that? Since they are both the same length and width. Wouldnt the 40 limit me in height plants? Sent from my LG G2 using Aquarium Advice mobile app.
height and par levels.. Identical lights on an 18" and 12" high tank will yield far different results in plant growth.. If you want carpet plants and low wide growers?40! If you want high growers and don't mind spending a couple extra bucks on a good light ??55!

I believe Brookster just means the light will reach further into the 40 gallon as light intensity diffuses as the tank gets deeper. I would wait for the 55 if you want to keep angels so they have vertical room to grow their finnage.

height and par levels.. Identical lights on an 18" and 12" high tank will yield far different results in plant growth.. If you want carpet plants and low wide growers?40! If you want high growers and don't mind spending a couple extra bucks on a good light ??55!

Thanks! Like will be custom cfl anyways so it would cost about the same either way. I think ill hold out for the 55 and give my angels more space.

Thanks! Like will be custom cfl anyways so it would cost about the same either way. I think ill hold out for the 55 and give my angels more space. Sent from my LG G2 using Aquarium Advice mobile app.
if your making your own canopy, with all that space? Good reflectors could get you growing whatever you want! May I recommend mixing a couple daylight LEDs into the cfl mix? I got one for a desk lamp and they're crazy bright and throw a nice blue color! Only issue is they cost $20 a piece..

if your making your own canopy, with all that space? Good reflectors could get you growing whatever you want! May I recommend mixing a couple daylight LEDs into the cfl mix? I got one for a desk lamp and they're crazy bright and throw a nice blue color! Only issue is they cost $20 a piece..

Hmmm definitely something to consider, would help with spread id say

Your Tank Choice

I have a stand built for a 55g tank but nobody locally has any currently. I can get a 40g long for cheaper which would fit the stand but is obviously shorter in height.
I want to stock the tank with a leopard ctenopoma, kuhli loaches, a pair of apistos or kribs , a pair of angel fish and maybe something else interesting. The tank would be heavily planted. Should I just wait it out for a 55?

Hello Vis...

Actually, the 40 G if it's a shorter, wider breeder tank, will be a better planted tank. The shorter the tank, the shorter distance the light has to travel, so the intensity is higher. Your fish will also have the benefit of a wider tank that will have more surface area and take in more oxygen from the outside air.

B

It's a 40 long. That's the same footprint as a 55,just not as tall.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom