55g walmart stands

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
How bad are there 55 gallon wal mart stands?
I liked how you ask how bad are they, I have a 55 stand for about a year, I guess it was fine purchase for the price but the outside screws on the sides have rusted and the magnetic seeling doors are annoying sometimes, I was able to find a Walmart top for 20$ and it helps the compliment the stand

quote: Originally posted by Jchillin:
I don't have a Wal-mart anywhere near me.

How did THAT happen? lol

I suspect there is a supreme lack of real estate, unless they build a high-rise version!

I have the Wal Mart 20/29g tank for my saltwater tank and a All-Glass "wood" stand for my 26g bowfront. I think the All-Glass stand is a piece of crap, and it cost me $170. By comparison, the Wal Mart stand is much more study, even if it is particle board.

I also have the walmart stands for both my 55 gallon and 29 gallon tanks. They work great and I have never had any problems with them whatsoever. Definitely worth it for the cost.
Jen

I believed a DIY stand, which is lots more sturdy and cheaper than buying any of the stand out there, if you are handy, and willing to do it. 2x4 legs give me lots of peace in mind...Again it won't be cheap if you do it with OAK and other expensive woods :)

I'm not handy at all lol...I looked at the walmart stands (they had one sitting out yesterday) and I was suprised.

They are actually VERY sturdy and have nice doors...and well...I was shocked lol

I may have purchased a faulty stand for my mother in law, but the 55 gal stand that we purchased for her broke. And it wasn't pretty. She had it for about 6 months and one day we were over at her house all gathered in the living room (the tank was all alone in the room) and we heard a loud BAM and water rushing all over. The stand busted and sent the tank crashing to the floor. Glass was broken everywhere, rocks in the kitchen (where she has it) and dining room. It was not a pretty site. Needless to say, we never purchased another tank and/or stand from Wal-Mart again. It should have been an indication when we opened it up and we had to put the thing together. Money was in short supply when we purchased the stand so that's why we bought it from there. In the end, we should have spent the extra cash and purchased a high quality stand. We then had to purchase a new tank, new stand, new fish, new gravel (glass was broken up in the gravel so it would have taken a LONG time to sift out all the little shards of glass), and clean up one hell of a mess. The next tank we purchased her was from All-Glass and the stand was a Sedona. It's a higher cost BUT we don't ahve to worry about the damn thing breaking and sending hundreds of dollars down the drain. If cash is in short supply I highly urge you to either a) build your own or b) put it on a credit card and pay it off in increments. It will pay off in the end. But, this is just my 2 cents. Again, I may have just purchased a faulty stand.

Well even with that horror story, I plan to buy the stand...It seems to me this is a new version of their older stands...

I would go with a metal stand...but Im scared it will be too much weight in one spot for my floor!

id say you be fine i have the 29 gal stand and it has been up over a year.Out of everyone who has one only 1 complaint.I would go for it.just make sure its put together right.

Ahh sonoma thanks for your information but I ended up buying a 40 gallon oceanic tank with a contrast stand.

I spent a lot more...but I feel a lot better about it and it looks so much nicer!

Congrats on the new tank and stand pk.

But the Wal-Mart tanks and stands are not that bad really.

Just dont buy the fish there..LMAO... :D 8O

Thanks guys...

I'm still waiting on the tank :-/

I had to order it and they said it would be in this week ( I doubted that though since of christmas)

Anyhow...

Have a great holiday everyone!

Back
Top Bottom