90 gallon discus tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

a7xdex

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I just got a 90 gallon tank and already had two discus in my 55 I added two more to the 90. Just wondering how many adults I can keep in my 90 gallon. I want to add a school of 10 rummy nose or neons

I would have a larger school of tetras than just ten. In that size tank, especially alongside discus, I school of 30+ would look amazing. I prefer cardinals, but rummynose, serpae, and others can all look great.

I have seen people with 11 healthy adult discus in a 55, but honestly in that size tank, especially with other fish, I would aim for around six. It really depends on the maintenance you want to do. Any discus tank should get at least 50% water changes at least weekly. If you can keep the nitrate concentration under 10ppm and want to add more you should be able to.

What else are you wanting in the tank? You didn't mention any maintenance fish. I would have bristlenose plecos for algae control and sterbai cories for cleanup.

Are you going to plant the tank?

I already had 6 Otos in my 55. So they are my cleaning crew for now. Gonna get more when there's more algae buildup. Its is already planted with injected co2 and t5 lighting. So maybe 15 rummys and 15 norms or cardinals would be ok with 6. I was going for 6. Maybe ill get a pair or 2

You will almost certainly get a pair if you take good care of them.

What temp are you going to keep them at?

You could go with larger schools, even with two different types of tetras. They really do look so much better in big schools.

I have the tank set at 82. I have 2 pigeon bloods, a red turquoise,and a blue diamond. I want to get a red one and a yellow or white one

What all are you feeding? IME New Life Spectrum Thera+A is the best thing for them. The Thera+A has more garlic than the other formulas (enough to actually kill some parasites, something discus are very prone to). I fed NLS exclusively to mine and they were breeding in the store.

I would keep them warmer, but 82F is okay (as low as I would go). The ottos may be stressed at 82F os any warmer and they may not make it. They will grow better at higher temps, they really do like it hot.

They get thera+a, hikari tropical discus biogold. Frozen bloodworms. Frozen brineshrimp. Freeze dried tubifex cubes, and flakes. I did research on my discus before buying them

Not any more, I had a variety though. I would stick with the Thera+A exclusively. The goal is a complete and balanced diet, the Thera+A is exactly that. By adding the other foods you are throwing off that balance. Mine were breeding while eating it exclusively at the shop I was running.

It's up to you. I personally prefer a big school so I would pick one or the other and get 30+, if you only want 15 of each that is fine. It is your tank, do what you like more.

Back
Top Bottom