A. Australe Killifish <3's Peacock Gudgeon. Help! Can they interbreed?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

blackmath

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi!
I have a happy, healthy 20 gallon planted tank that includes a single male Aphyosemion Australe (Lyretail Killi), Ivan, along with a few schooling fish and snails and shrimp. Today I brought home some more Crystal Red shrimp and a Peacock Gudgeon, I am not sure the gender. Ivan LOVES it! He is swimming along side it frantically, not nipping or being aggressive, but more what looks to me like spawning behavior. He just won't leave him/her alone, and I'm not sure what to do! It looks like he is trying to "snuggle". I do have a small 5 gallon with a pair of Gardneri killis, I could put Ivan in there but I didn't want the boys to fight.

I'm wondering, is it possible for these species to interbreed like endlers and guppies? Looking at the female killi, the Peacock Gudgeon does look quite similar, almost identical body shape. And should I be worried Ivan will bug the gudgeon to death, and move him in with his killi cousins?

Thanks in advance for any advice!
Hard to find people with personal experience with killis.

I wouldn't add the australa to the gardneri tank, just leave him be. He is most likely confuse and thinks the PG to be a female. You could always try to get him a female of his own.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

There's absolutely no way they will cross.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Yeah I forgot to mention that bit. It's kinda like Sylvester the cat and that looney tunes skunk.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Haha, thanks guys. I figured, but just wanted to make sure. He seems to have lost some interest in the gudgeon. Maybe I will try to find him a girlfriend, I hear their colors are best when a female is around, anyway. I know my Gardneri boy has amazing colors, can't wait til these eggs hatch!

He'd love a female this is my gardneri male, colouring up at the moment nicely. Getting an egg every three days and I've only had them for a week.
img_3214796_0_79d68f857a6fdbbeb107cdeeb811e14b.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Beautiful! I will try and get a pic of my guy. I've only had mine a couple weeks but I am loving them, so much fun to watch! The annuals like Rachiovii are gorgeous too, but I am going to try my hand at breeding these before getting into all of that.

Sorry I meant two weeks before. But at the moment breeding them seems fairly easy so far once you get the water quality right. I'm waiting for my eggs to hatch, quite a few getting nice and dark so hopefully soon I'll have my first batch of fry.

Just removing the eggs once a week and recording everything at the moment seems to help.

Here is my sweet couple! So hard to get a good pic. I'm loving killies! I am new to them but I already want more.
img_3215278_0_42f21e70946916b1e51c5201a92e544e.jpg

Back
Top Bottom