Peacock gudgeon dying

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ls10454

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi, I am relatively new to keeping an aquarium and I am really scared that I am going to kill all my fish. I got my tank about 2-3 weeks ago and it is fully cycled. I got the water tested and got my first fish a peacock gudgeon. I have had him for about a week and a half now and today he was fine swimming around and everything but when I got home he is dead. Do you think it is something i did wrong or was something just wrong with the fish?

Please explain when you started your tank and how you cycled it. Please post your water parameters, pH, ammonia, nitrite and nitrate.

I dont know the water parameters but was told that the ph was a little high but still safe. About 3 weeks ago I started it and added some api quick start and some beneficial bacteria, I let it run for a week, then we got a goldfish to help cycle it. I left him for a week and got the water tested, was told it was fine and a few days later I got the peacock gudgeon.

Well I suspect that your tank/filter is not cycled since that takes 3-8 weeks to complete before fish should be added. Since you don't have specific numbers, you need to get a liquid test kit for your water. API is the most recommended. Quick start and adding beneficial bacterial do nothing as found on the web and research papers.

Click here for information on Cycling your Aquarium tank/filter. Hope this gets you on track.

Agreed, when starting an aquarium you need to be able to see the numbers for yourself or you are extremely likely to continue losing fish to cycling related toxins in the water. A lot of pet stores use test strips that aren’t very accurate to begin with and don’t even test for ammonia when they are testing your water. You need to be able to test for ammonia nitrite, and nitrate to track your cycling progress. Read up on the link fishwonder gave you and let us know if you have any questions!

Back
Top Bottom