A few general questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dewiro

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Im new to the fish world and have a few questions. I have a 29 gallon tank.

First, as of right now I'm not using a heater, my room is warm throughout the year and without a heater my water is staying above 75 degrees, is this ok?

How long should I have my tank light on a day? Right now I have a timer set up to turn it on at 6am and off at noon.

Right now I have an albino channel cat, once it gets too large for my 30g its going to my friends 55g then into his small pond. I'm trying to figure out what kind of fish I should get. I really like the green spotted puffer fish but is it absolutely required to convert my tank to saltwater when they mature? I've read mixed thoughts from multiple sources on that. If so how hard is it to maintain the water level they require?

The kind of fish I'm looking for is something that can eat mealworms as Im already raising them for fishing bait and can eat small goldfish from time to time. I'm not necessarily interested in a fish that gets big, because I'd rather have multiple of them, and I don't intend on their primary diet being mealworms and goldfish but every now and then as a "treat".

How essential is an aerator and a bubble bar in a 30g tank? And how long does that need to be running?

Also are there any homemade ideas for fish shelters/decorations as the ones at my LFS are overpriced.

I have a lot of questions, and I'm sure ill come up with more. I'm just wanting to do the research and make sure I'm doing everything right. One person doesn't necessarily have to answer them all, and all positive feedback is appreciated. Thank you in advance

First, as of right now I'm not using a heater, my room is warm throughout the year and without a heater my water is staying above 75 degrees, is this ok? That's okay, but I would buy a heater to just be safe. They only cost around $15 in the store, and you might be able to find one on eBay for cheaper, I got a 200 watt one for $12.

How long should I have my tank light on a day? Right now I have a timer set up to turn it on at 6am and off at noon. I leave mine on from 7 am to 9pm, I have a timer that leaves it on, but others may say shorter than that.

Right now I have an albino channel cat, once it gets too large for my 30g its going to my friends 55g then into his small pond. I'm trying to figure out what kind of fish I should get. I really like the green spotted puffer fish but is it absolutely required to convert my tank to saltwater when they mature? I've read mixed thoughts from multiple sources on that. If so how hard is it to maintain the water level they require? They will need brackish water to almost marine water. Getting this isn't too hard but you will need a refractometer (some may say a hydrometer, but it doesn't give as accurate of reading) and some marine salt. You may need to do a few more water changes to keep everything in line but it shouldn't be too hard.

The kind of fish I'm looking for is something that can eat mealworms as Im already raising them for fishing bait and can eat small goldfish from time to time. I'm not necessarily interested in a fish that gets big, because I'd rather have multiple of them, and I don't intend on their primary diet being mealworms and goldfish but every now and then as a "treat". I would try some of the African Cichlids, but wait for a more knowledgable source for the actual type.

How essential is an aerator and a bubble bar in a 30g tank? And how long does that need to be running? They're not necissary to the tank, only if you want them. I have one in my tank and I leave it on all day long, but as long as you would want it on it would work.

Also are there any homemade ideas for fish shelters/decorations as the ones at my LFS are overpriced. Terra Cotta pots, slate formations, rock formations, live plants would work wonderfully as fun things for you fish to "play" with, just make sure that your using aquarium safe sillicon or glue if you do use it.

I have a lot of questions, and I'm sure ill come up with more. I'm just wanting to do the research and make sure I'm doing everything right. One person doesn't necessarily have to answer them all, and all positive feedback is appreciated. Thank you in advance

All my answers are in Purple hope that they help!(y)

First, as of right now I'm not using a heater, my room is warm throughout the year and without a heater my water is staying above 75 degrees, is this ok?

As long as it does not fluctuate constsantly and stays the same always yes it should be fine. Heaters will just have more stability.

How long should I have my tank light on a day? Right now I have a timer set up to turn it on at 6am and off at noon.

If you're planning on plants a lot longer, they need somewhere around eight to ten hours of light a day.

Right now I have an albino channel cat, once it gets too large for my 30g its going to my friends 55g then into his small pond. I'm trying to figure out what kind of fish I should get. I really like the green spotted puffer fish but is it absolutely required to convert my tank to saltwater when they mature? I've read mixed thoughts from multiple sources on that. If so how hard is it to maintain the water level they require?

GSP I believe are completely freshwater.

The kind of fish I'm looking for is something that can eat mealworms as Im already raising them for fishing bait and can eat small goldfish from time to time. I'm not necessarily interested in a fish that gets big, because I'd rather have multiple of them, and I don't intend on their primary diet being mealworms and goldfish but every now and then as a "treat".

There isn't really a fish that stays small but will still eat live food, all fish I can think of that would do that get way too big. Someone else will have to chime in for that one.

How essential is an aerator and a bubble bar in a 30g tank? And how long does that need to be running?

If you have lots of surface disruption its not necessary.

Also are there any homemade ideas for fish shelters/decorations as the ones at my LFS are overpriced.

Look at the DIY Project Forum. You'll see lots of ideas there.

I answered in bold red. Good luck! :)

Ah I also forgot another fish that might eat the worms, probably not the goldfish but maybe the worms, tiger barbs. I've heard mixed stories on them, but I think that they would work.

Thank you for all the feedback so far, I'm using a 30-55 gallon filter that has the 2 sides to it so there is plenty of water movement. I might return the aerator because its rather loud. My room stays warm year round but ill keep an eye on the temps and make sure if it increases/decreases ill put in a heater.

Sorry for the double post but how many gsp's could I put in my 30 gallon? It would be just them and a pleco

I wouldn't put in a pleco they can be very very messy, and I think that just one would be able to be in there, they grow to about 6" and can be very aggressive.

Id like to say that GSPs are not completely freshwater. At first they are. But when they reach sexual maturity they need to be converted. If not they wont reach their full lifespan. Or size I believe. (Got this info from another member on here, not personal experience )

And someone said plecos can get 6"? Some species get 6" but a common pleco (the one most commonly sold at petshops) can get around 20 inches long.

Whoops I meant that the GSP gets about 6". And yes the GSP starts off as freshwater, moves into brackishwater then at adulthood is between brackish and saltwater, if they don't get this then they will not live as long.

AquaKai said:
Whoops I meant that the GSP gets about 6". And yes the GSP starts off as freshwater, moves into brackishwater then at adulthood is between brackish and saltwater, if they don't get this then they will not live as long.

Haha ohh. Okay, now I see it. I wasn't trying to be rude I just didn't want anyone thinking a pleco stopped growing at 6" haha

Sorry for the double post but how many gsp's could I put in my 30 gallon? It would be just them and a pleco

Only one. GSP will not get lonely, so please do not add tankmates. They are pretty vicious after puberty.

A GSP less than 2inch will be ok in freshwater.
From 2inch to 4inch, keep it in brackish.
Above 4inch, keep it in in full marine.

Your tank is on the small side for 1 GSP. How about 2 Figure Eight Puffer? They will eat worms, but may not eat the goldfish. They will only need a little bit of brackish water. If you keep your salt grade around 1.003 for an F8, then you also do NOT need to pre-mix your new water and marine salt during weekly 50% water change.

Terrance said:
Only one. GSP will not get lonely, so please do not add tankmates. They are pretty vicious after puberty.

A GSP less than 2inch will be ok in freshwater.
From 2inch to 4inch, keep it in brackish.
Above 4inch, keep it in in full marine.

Your tank is on the small side for 1 GSP. How about 2 Figure Eight Puffer? They will eat worms, but may not eat the goldfish. They will only need a little bit of brackish water. If you keep your salt grade around 1.003 for an F8, then you also do NOT need to pre-mix your new water and marine salt during weekly 50% water change.

I'm thinking they may be a little over my head as this is my first tank, does any fish exist that can eat mealworms and or goldfish that is freshwater and relatively easy to care for? Ill definitely get gsps in the future but for now I don't want to deal with salt. I thought plecos were awesome for tank cleaning? At my lfs I could trade in the pleco for a small one when it outgrows my tank.

Dont do that. That's kinda irresponsible. IMO.
You can just buy a bristlenose pleco and it'll max out at 4-5" and you can keep it indefinately

Plecos poop like a goldfish

Plecos are not very good cleaners, they are more messy than they are cleaners. I would suggest otos or SAE's, but you should wait until your tank is established to add them.

Try dwarf puffers. They are completely freshwater. Two in a tank heavily planted would be alright.

I think an oscars a nice big freshwater fish. You'd keep it alone. And you can feed it stuff like that I think. It would need a much bigger tank though. There are many different beautiful color patterns as well

I think an oscars a nice big freshwater fish. You'd keep it alone. And you can feed it stuff like that I think. It would need a much bigger tank though. There are many different beautiful color patterns as well
A much bigger tank like a 75 gallon one.

I agree with Bruinsbro with the dwarf puffers if you want puffer fish. No salt water needed there.

Another option which I think might work are angelfish.

I'm not necessarily obsessed with the puffers, they were just the ideal kind of fish

You could get dwarf puffers like others have said. They need a lot of plants to break eye contact. General rule is one dwarf puffer per 5 gallon, but others say 5 gallons for the first puffer followed by 3 gallons for any additional ones after that. They will eat the worms but not goldfish. Great website nd forum is www.dwarfpuffers.com you could have them with shrimp or otto's although there's a gd chance they will eat the shrimp!

I plan on having the catfish for about another month, will the puffers attack him? He's about 2 inches long at the moment

DPs only please. You could take a chance and see if they can get along. If it doesn't work out, then you should be prepared to separate the two species by getting another tank or bringing it back to your LFS (will they give you back your money?). You also need to see if all of your puffers will get along with each other.

Back
Top Bottom