A little help please?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Neon Fish

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hey, I'm new to the forums, I just have a few questions to ask about freshwater aquariums.. I hope thats alright!

Firstly, I have a 7 gallon or 28 litre tank, it has no hood and i have a basic filter and heater with a florescent light. I had Cardinal tetra's for 2 years but reccently they started dying :(. I had 11 I am now down to 3, I have been doing some research and I see now that my tank was too small even after them surviving all this time.. I was wondering if anyone could suggest some easy and beautiful fish to get, I was looking at Betta splendens (Siamese Fighting Fish) but my filter has a strong current, will this be a problem and also, how many would i be able to fit in my current tank? :bowl:

Only 1 male betta in a tank. There are some DIY mods you can try to slow the current down. Alternatively if going with a betta you can go with no filter and just do 100% water changes like once a week.

Hi Neon, basic questions first i guess, do you use a dechlorinator for your water, what temperature is the tank at, and of the departed fish? where there any symptoms or physical abnormalities?

Hey Hydrocephalus, no I don't use a de-chlorinator.. im not sure why i would need it, what would it help with? :)

My tank is at 26-27 degrees Celsius (78-80 fahrenheit ).

And regarding the departed fish, not of the majority, but my most recent one had odd looking fins and seemed a bit scared/lonely.

Hey Hydrocephalus, no I don't use a de-chlorinator.. im not sure why i would need it, what would it help with? :)

My tank is at 26-27 degrees Celsius (78-80 fahrenheit ).

And regarding the departed fish, not of the majority, but my most recent one had odd looking fins and seemed a bit scared/lonely.

if your on any city supplied water you will have chlorine or chloramine as a treatment, both are deadly to fish, chlorine will dissipate from stored water but not the other one. Are you on well water?

If you had 11 Cardinals in a 7 gallon and they lived 2 years, I'd say you did good. Maybe you should get more if you like them. But instead of 11, maybe 6 or 7.

For slowing the filter for a betta you can do what I did. I went to WalMart and got some plastic canvas in the craft section, it was $2 for 6 sheets, and I cut a little rectangle out and hung it in front of the flow, tied with fishling line.
And if you do get a betta, and don't use a filter, you need to change the water 50% twice a week.
And I am suprised your fish lived without dechlor if you are on city water!

Hey, I'm new to the forums, I just have a few questions to ask about freshwater aquariums.. I hope thats alright!

Firstly, I have a 7 gallon or 28 litre tank, it has no hood and i have a basic filter and heater with a florescent light. I had Cardinal tetra's for 2 years but reccently they started dying :(. I had 11 I am now down to 3, I have been doing some research and I see now that my tank was too small even after them surviving all this time.. I was wondering if anyone could suggest some easy and beautiful fish to get, I was looking at Betta splendens (Siamese Fighting Fish) but my filter has a strong current, will this be a problem and also, how many would i be able to fit in my current tank? :bowl:

My betta before he became s serial killer, loved swimming in the filter flow!

A few guppies or some neons?

You could put one male betta or 2-3 females in a 7g tank. How many gallons or liters per hour does your filter flow? I have a 300gph filter on my 29g and my crowntail is very happy in the tank. It is kind of funny to watch him swim right up into the filter exit and go tumbling back. If the fish can't take the flow, there are ways to diffuse it.

Well you came to the right person, i have many seggustions maybe Little blood fin tetras or Zebra danios, There is also neons which are small and you could fit plenty in there. Guppies and maybe bred them which will be a benifit to you as you will make money. Maybe some Swordtail which you could also breed or maybe some mollies just some there

Back
Top Bottom