A lot of brown algae

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dylan07

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hello everyone I have had my tank for 2months now and it just finished cycling, I have a lot of what I have come to know is brown algae so I am wondering what I should do ??ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1394052470.037672.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1394052535.531208.jpg

Hello everyone I have had my tank for 2months now and it just finished cycling, I have a lot of what I have come to know is brown algae so I am wondering what I should do ??View attachment 226072View attachment 226073

Otos love the stuff, but unless you want to feed them supplementally I wouldn't go that route. Just clean it manually and get some shrimp it will go away when your tank has been balanced for a while

Ok thanks. It started out small then bloomed and was very unsightly starting today

Otos are great for that if you like them. But they only eat algae (some can learn to like algae pellets or veggies) so they can be hard to care for once the bloom is over. I love mine, I have a planted tank with them and shrimp and I basically never have to clean up algae. Balanced light and nutrients in a planted tank can be tough to get right but once you do it makes your life so much easier.

The brown algae will be outcompeted by plants if you have them or other types of algae eventually.

I don't have any plants :(, my internet was down my last few days so I am replying now and after a water change it still looks the same would you suggest a snail ?

I also have 4 panda Cory cats do they help reduce it at all ??

With no live plants you have to keep nutrients low. That means more water changes. Cories are bottom feeders not algae eaters. Generally more fish means more nutrients so none of then are really a solution to an algae problem. How long are you running lights and what are your stocking/tank size and water change schedule.

A lot of snails put more waste in than they eat in algae so don't add one just to "clean".

Regular water changes and an occasional scrub takes care of it.

I do water changes every Wednesday, I have 4 panda corycats, 2neon tetras, 1 ruby danio, 5white clouded minnows and a platy. I have a 10gl tank and have had it for 2months.

I haven't run the lights for more than 2hrs since the algae appeared

It's call diatoms. It fix on objects and glasses.

It's common in new tanks. Sillicon releases sillicates into water column, and diatoms feed on this. Just keep cleaning windows, and the problem will solve itself after 2-4 months.

Back
Top Bottom