? About betta introduction

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Krystle

Aquarium Advice Regular
Wanting to add my betta to my tank but not sure only just learned that they might be able to blend. I have 2 yellow bellied sliders, 2 Dalmatian mollies, 3 tetra, 6 platty, ghost shrimp and snails.

Lol yeah they did added him in about an hour ago and they tried to get him. but he found a hiding spot before they could catch him :) we will see how he is in the am but seems to be doin ok. Will keep ya posted :)

How big is the aquarium? The turtles need a basking area. Plus they need light that is stronger than most aquarium lights.

It's a 30, I have a basking platform and a swamp light. Will be upgrading to a 55 in a few weeks.

Tetra1990 said:
IMO, your betta is living on borrowed time. Get it out ASAP.

I couldn't agree more. It's fins will just be snacks and so will the actual fish. I'd watch the other fish as well.

Fish have been in there for months and betta is still swimming strong. The turtles are regularly fed so they don't pay much attention to them unless they try and eat the turtles food.

The turtles will start to try to eat your fish as they get bigger no matter how much you feed them.

bettaowner said:
The turtles will start to try to eat your fish as they get bigger no matter how much you feed them.

I disagree with this. My ouachita maps do not bother my fish at all. I have 12 tiger barbs with them as well as 5 rosy red glass barbs, an opaline gourami, a rubber lip pleco, snails. They have been together since the turtles were tiny and they have not tried to eat the fish. The only time the turtles snap at them is when the fish steal the food out of their mouths other than that they co exist fine. Though the relationship is good between my fish and turtles I agree it is a bad idea to introduce a new fish to the turtles territory as they will look at it as something that doesn't belong and therefore think food. So I'd say ur current fish are fine but I'd take out the new one. If u do want to add more fish then make them too fast or too big for the turtles.

Edit: I don't ever feed my turtles fish either to not let them get a taste. Obviously if the turtles are as carnivorous as snappers then u will have more problems.

Yeah they have had the taste of fish before, goldfish mostly. Seems they have gotten lazy since they have been in the 30 gal I moved them into about 6 months ago. I have probly seen them chase the fish twice. And the betta has stayed in the shadows, only coming out to chase the Molly or fry. The turtles came up on him today and he flared up and it freaked the turtles out lol they swam for the other end quick.

Back
Top Bottom