about using safe start

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MrKichanPark

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
im about to buy safe start by tetra, and i was wondering do i leave the filter on? or not. and how long will it take.

also do i put the fish in the tank and put safe start or after i put it in after 2 days i put the fish in.

please help!

i have 10g tank with tetra whisper internal filter 10i

im about to buy safe start by tetra, and i was wondering do i leave the filter on? or not. and how long will it take.

also do i put the fish in the tank and put safe start or after i put it in after 2 days i put the fish in.

please help!

i have 10g tank with tetra whisper internal filter 10i

Yes, you absolutely want to leave the filter on. Opinions vary as to Safe Start's effectiveness, but it's designed to seed the filter with bacteria. If the filter isn't running, the bacteria won't be able to seed it.

Do not wait 2 days to put the fish in. The bacteria in Safe Start need an ammonia source to survive and the fish provide that ammonia source.

Also, you don't want to use any water conditioner that states it 'removes', 'locks up', or 'binds' with ammonia while using Safe Start.

Some good information on the product and how to use it can be found here:

Q & A With Tetra about Tetra SafeStart - Aquarium Fish Forum 58116

Good luck!

I don't really buy into the effectiveness of the stuff. Consider... If you don't use water conditioner to remove the chlorine and chloramine then that stuff will just kill any bacteria that they say is in the bottle. Conditioners, like Prime, only bind to the ammonia to make it non-toxic for a bit, it is still usable by bacteria as a food source in its Prime-bonded state. That stuff is a load of hooey that has the sole purpose of making tons of cash for the manufacturer. Testing and fresh water changes are the way to go with a fish-in cycle.

I don't really buy into the effectiveness of the stuff. Consider... If you don't use water conditioner to remove the chlorine and chloramine then that stuff will just kill any bacteria that they say is in the bottle. Conditioners, like Prime, only bind to the ammonia to make it non-toxic for a bit, is it still usable by bacteria as a food source in its Prime-bonded state. That stuff is a load of hooey that has the sole purpose of making tons of cash for the manufacturer. Testing and fresh water changes are the way to go with a fish-in cycle.

Not debating the effectiveness of Safe Start here, but if one does choose to use it, one still conditions the tap water -- per the manufacturer, however, one shouldn't use a conditioner (such as Prime) that binds ammonia.

There are a number of conditioners on the market that will remove chlorine/chloramine that don't bind ammonia.

I have personally had some success using Safe Start, but know that it isn't universal, and there are a number of people for whom it has been ineffective.

Best!

Back
Top Bottom