Adding a few more male bettas to tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LCieParagon

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hello all

In July / august I added 3 male bettas to my fish tank. They are doing great. No aggression, no fin nipping or anything. I have a 40g tank that has a lot of live plants. Double filtration with one being a canister. I also have a ph in the 5's since there is an album angel in there with a pair of viejita cichlids. I also have 6 cardinal tetras and 6 neons.

What would be your opinion of adding 3-5 more male bettas. Mine swim together now and even eat together. It's cool to see.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Male bettas? Adding 3 to 5 more? I think you must be nuts. What gave you the idea to put them together in the first place? It's borderline miraculous that the 3 you have are getting along. I wouldn't mess it up by adding 3 to 5 more. (And I promise you, adding 3 to 5 more WILL mess it up- all it takes is one betta that won't play nice)

I'm actually not nuts.

I've done extensive research on them and I've been in the fish keeping hobby 29 years.

I have a black water setup mimicking the amazon river basin. It's a nice biotope.

I filter my tank through peat to keep my ph around 5.2

When I did this I just added them at the same time. I was wondering if putting a few more in would kill the ones in there now. I haven't lost a fish in a year or so.

I would keep things as is and keep a CLOSE watch on the bettas you currently have.... they could turn on each other at any time. :( You need a back up plan to put them into a new home (another tank in your place or if a friend or family member could take them or something like that) should they fight with each other.

I've had them together for over 4 months. They are fine.

Alright, I'm just saying I've heard of a fish suddenly being agressive towards others months and months later after being fine before that.

I seriously wouldn't add any more bettas though, I would keep it as is.

It's interesting that they all live together and get along, that is rare! It's nice that they are like that, but in general I would never recommend or condone it.

You'll most likely lose a fish or 4 if you add more bettas, pics of the tank? Sounds very cool! I have a mini blackwater apisto tank, almond leaves though.. not quite fully stained.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Alright, I'm just saying I've heard of a fish suddenly being agressive towards others months and months later after being fine before that.

I seriously wouldn't add any more bettas though, I would keep it as is.

+1

Fishobsessed7

Back
Top Bottom