Adding a new fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Johnnyti

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have three tanks with a variety of fish. All is well. Last Friday my wife came home from the fair with a goldfish. I know there is a transition period for adding a new fish but I didn't have an extra tank. I compromised with a cake pan lid upside dowm (2.5 gal) and used enough gravel and water from an existing tank and added an air line. Then I did 30% water changes with conditioners and Melafix each day just to be safe.
What is the recomended time before adding the new fish with the others? I have read so many horror stories of sick fish contaminating a healthy tank.
It's sad that they give away fish at these fairs knowing that most of the time the person bringing them home doesn't have a clue!

To be honest I would try to re-home it rather than attempt to keep it in a tropical tank (if your three tanks are tropical). Goldfish need quite large cold water tanks.

Regardless, quarantines are typically 3-4 weeks. I'd worry about keeping a goldfish in that for 3-4 weeks.

I plan to put him in a 46 gal a tank with mostly gold fish. I thought he might have had fin rot (the fin edges looked dark) but if he did I'm not seeing it now. He active and eats great. I want to buy a seperate hospital tank but funds are tight. I wasn't looking for a new fish either but what do you do? Anyways, I'm going to do the best with what I have. So I should wait atleast three weeks?
Since I am doing the 30% water change I haven't worried about a filter system but I could hook something up. I did put in a heater and keeping it at 76c. Also some rocks to hide in.

First goldfish need about 10 gal/fish for them to thrive, they will survive in less but do you want to live in a hut?
Second gold fish are a cool water fish, 76 is to hot for them. Remember the higher the temp., the lower amount of O2 disolved in the water.
Goldfish have a digestive system that is designed to feed all the time. They should be feed very small amounts of food several times a day. they should also have access to greens as wanted, I use Duckweed, it grows like crazy in my tanks.

Nice job for a QT on the fly. :) I would do bigger water changes each day though. About 50%, and make sure you vac the gravel. Clean water is the best treatment and prevention of illness. :)

Good luck on your carni-fish!

Back
Top Bottom