Adding a sump or cannister on nondrilled tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

meBNme

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
So, my tank is not drilled.
I am a plumber, so I can make pretty much anything with piping, hoses etc.
I would like to eliminate my over the side filter.

I was told the canister filters are a real pain to clean and have other problems.

I was told a sump can only be used in a drilled tank. (I don't want an overflow tank on the side, that defeats the purpose of getting rid of the over the side filter.)

So whats the real deal?
How exactly does a sump work? Mechanically, how are they built?

Has anyone done a sump without a drilled tank?

Any comments on the canister filter issue?

Oh btw i have a eheim 2217, super quite, easy to clean, and a sump, if not done right will suck alot of water out of your tank when you loose power

I personally have never had a problem with cleaning my canister - but that's on a 26gal tank. (Fluval 205).

I've found that the biggest challenge with keeping a canister filter running at full power is cleaning the gunk that builds up in the tubing. My solution is to just buy new tubing once a year (15$, not a big deal) - but seeing as you are a plumber you would probably have access to some pretty decent tools for cleaning tubing.

Other than that - a canister just comes down to rinsing sponges once every 1-2 months. Most canisters come with "tourniquet" valves that allow you to completely separate the actual container from the tubes while still suspending the siphon. Then once it's clean, just latch it back in, open the valve and the water fills it back up like nothing happened.

meBNme said:
I was told the canister filters are a real pain to clean and have other problems.
My personal experience is the exact opposite. I have a Fluval 304 and find it an easy and convenient filter to deal with, inexpensive to operate, and a much better option than HOB filters.

yea they r better and also help with moe water volume in some cases, the only problem i came across was when my o ring needed replacement b4 i replace it it will leak from the sides and it will take forever to stop the dripping so i changed it and after that it has worked like a champ!!!!

meBNme -- Looking at your tank size, you would probably be best with a Fluval 405 (if you are looking at the Fluval) or an FX5. Very good pricing on Amazon if you are looking new. Or, I find that CraigsList is good as long as you inspect it a little and purchase new tubing.

Thanks everyone!

This has been helpful on the canister issue for sure!

Back
Top Bottom