Adding Fish to Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sibley

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I'm almost at the end of my fishless cycle (fingers crossed, please) and I was wondering about the technique for adding fish.

In the "old days" we took the bag from the fish store and set it in the tank water for a while so that the water temp in the bag would equal the water temp in the tank. When the temp was the same, we dumped the entire contents of the bag - water and fish - into the tank.

Is this still the way to do it? By the time I add fish I will have spent 4 weeks setting up my tank and I DO NOT want to eff it up and have to start over.

TIA!

I'm almost at the end of my fishless cycle (fingers crossed, please) and I was wondering about the technique for adding fish.

In the "old days" we took the bag from the fish store and set it in the tank water for a while so that the water temp in the bag would equal the water temp in the tank. When the temp was the same, we dumped the entire contents of the bag - water and fish - into the tank.

Is this still the way to do it? By the time I add fish I will have spent 4 weeks setting up my tank and I DO NOT want to eff it up and have to start over.

TIA!
I usualy do just what you noted with eth bag. but before I put them in I add about 1 cup of water to the bag FROM THE TANK, and let it sit for about another 20-30 minutes... this way the fish gets a littel more aclimated to the water :D

congrats on the near cycle finish :D

Float the bag for a little while to equalize temperature. Then gradually add water from the tank to the bag, giving fish time to acclimate after each addition.

When fish is ready, pour him into a net and then transfer to tank. Many fish stores have parasites or diseases in their water, and you do not want to run the risk of dumping those into your tank.

Some fish stores use antibiotics regularly and if you dump that in the tank it could kill your cycle.

Float the bag for a little while to equalize temperature. Then gradually add water from the tank to the bag, giving fish time to acclimate after each addition.

When fish is ready, pour him into a net and then transfer to tank. Many fish stores have parasites or diseases in their water, and you do not want to run the risk of dumping those into your tank.
hmm... never thought of that... probably how I got ick :(
Some fish stores use antibiotics regularly and if you dump that in the tank it could kill your cycle.
good point

fearless nailed it on the head. That is the exact method I have been using for years with no problems. I would not trust the LFS's water. I usually dump the bag out into my net, over a bucket then quickly add the fish to the QT tank. It sounds like that would stress the fish out, and yes it does, but its better than killing off all your other livestock. I QT my new additions in my 10g for at least 2 weeks, sometimes longer if something doesn't look right.

Back
Top Bottom