adding pond frogs to my aquarium

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

couplescaddy

Aquarium Advice Regular
hey everybody, ok, so i have a nice pond in my backyard that has many many many frogs and tadpoles in it. the tadpoles are growing legs now, and i was thinking about moving 2 or 3 into my 20 gallon fish tank stocked with live plants and a bunch of tetras. i keep the water around 78* and was wondering if there are or could be any risk of diseases or bacteria being hosted by the tadpoles that could harm my fish. i have about 18 tetras in my tank now and if my tank got infected it would devistate me to loose all that money in fish (and my dad would be REALLY REALLY pissed) thanks for your help

Whenever you introduce wild stock into your tank you risk disease. Also, I would think as the tads morph, they may quite possibly eat your fish.

Agreed with Hara...you would also possibly find that an all-aquatic environment would not be very suitable to metamorphosising frogs, and it may well be a bit too tropical.

I have to agree also. Even my pygmy frogs tried to and succesfully ate a fry or two. Pond frogs could easily eat your fish. Also, frogs are often intermediate hosts to a number of parasites so a good conditioning plan might be a good idea to eliminate any such problem.

all tapoles, of all frog species are strict vegitarians. they need algae (maybe algae waffers i dunno).

heres a tip if you decide to do so. when i took care of some, i par boiled some lettuces for a few minutes until it becomes algae like (dont boil to long or you'll cook out the nutrients) and put it in the tank.

if they are getting legs, they should be morphing soon, and it'd be kinda late to move them. chances are, they will have diseases, most natural ponds do

all tapoles, of all frog species are strict vegitarians.

That is quite untrue...in fact, from the species I am familiar with, if you dont seperate the tads, they will turn to cannibilizing their clutchmates.

Hara said:
That is quite untrue...in fact, from the species I am familiar with, if you dont seperate the tads, they will turn to cannibilizing their clutchmates.

ive never heard of that, though i suppose there are some species that may resort to it, given they are not fed greens. in all the tadpoles ive kept, ive never had one go after another, let alone fish flakes

There are alot of species of frogs that require meaty items. In some cases, the mother will lay infertile eggs to feed the tadpoles as well.

We did this a long time ago and even though it was gross it was very interesting. I would set up a different tank if you really want to watch them morph. It has been so long ago that I forgot what we fed them, but they grew up and we released them.

You can buy a Grow a frog kit which comes with everything you need. :)

hc8719 said:
Hara said:

ive never heard of that, though i suppose there are some species that may resort to it, given they are not fed greens. in all the tadpoles ive kept, ive never had one go after another, let alone fish flakes

Some frog tads are herbivorous, some carnivorous, many omnivorous...you need to know what species you have to feed them correctly.

Back
Top Bottom