adding RO water and new fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

T-Rexx

Aquarium Advice Activist
just bought 5 gallons of ro water for my 60 gallon tank. i want to get my ph down a bit. but i know messing with the ph is worse for fish then having it high. since messing with the ph is so bad how much ro water should i add at a time to not kill my fish? my husband says all 5 gallons its 8% of the water. but part of me says a gallon or 2 and slowly work to 5 or more. once i add ro water to the tank how do i keep the ph stable. will it be ok? does it fluctuate? do i add the same amount of ro water each time i change the water to keep it the same ph?

What is your Ph with out trying to adjust it? I kept fresh water tanks for years with natural Ph in my water being 8.2-8.4 never had problems. The one time I tried to drop the Ph it crashed on of the systems. The fish will adapt to high Ph with no problems. Aclimation time is a bit longer for me because I do drip line and dump 50% of the water 2-3 times over 1-1 1/2 hours by the time the drip is over they are in 100% tank water and fully acclimated to it.
Unless you want the headache of constantly buying water or take the plunge and buy your own RO unit. I wouldnt recommend trying to change things.
If your system is naturaly high useing a small amout of RO water will only fluctuate the Ph temporaraly for a few hours then it will go back up to its normal state which stresses the fish.

8% ro and 92% tap is going to have little to no effect on your tanks ph regardless of the kh hardness of the tank water.

If you are going to go with RO, you really have to make a big commitment. My tap has very unstable parameters. So I made the decision to go with RO. Not only do I have to hike roughly 20g of ro water in weekly. Sometimes more often than that. Then I have to remineralize it. I use seachem equilibrium. It is a real PITA and it expensive. But that is the only way I can get my parameters stable. So if yours is stable I wouldn't mess with it. I would rather just use my tap.

Back
Top Bottom