Adding rocks to my tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

myriam

Aquarium Advice FINatic
My father-in-law collects rocks, and he would like to give me some for my tank. They are quartz and polished agate. How can I be sure they won't mess up my water?

Yeah, quartz is about the least reactive rock out there (Si02, Silicon Dioxide). Good choice. Agate is a variant of quartz, so that should be fine, too.

Hydrochloric acid is the usual test. I'm pretty sure there is another one commonly used, but I'm unsure of what type it is.

Granite, marble, and limestone will increase the ph of the water.

Rocks

Found some beautiful quartz in broken pieces on a mountain near me, cleaned it and even boiled it, It looks great!! thanks

Sure, menagerie! One of the pieces, which I haven't seen yet, is apparently like a small cylindrical tube that the fish can swim through. The quartz piece I have now isn't that exciting, but I'm sure my father-in-law can come up with some pretty cool stuff later.

Heres my Tank with quartz rocks

Only my first attempt at a tank, but havin fun decorating!! well guess i got two of the same photo!!!

Why is granite bad? I was under the impression that it was crystalized (or rather cooled off?) lava... or would that be magma, since it's underground...

Whereas marble is metamorphosed limestone, I think.

I enjoyed my geology class ten years ago, wish I could remember it well.

--

Nice photo.

Back
Top Bottom