Advice on a tank transition?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kimbucktu

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I just bought a 55 gallon tank tonight. Yay! I've wanted one for so long and came across a deal I couldn't pass up. I currently have a 30 gallon set up with 2 balas, 1 albino rainbow and 1 common pleco. The 55 gallon will be their new home. My question is this...What's the best way to go about moving them into the new tank? With minimal stress and keeping as much bacteria intact as possible?

These guys have been tankmates since day one (about 2 years) and I'm wondering about the effects of introducing a new fish or two. Part of me thinks it's best to keep them as they are given the size they can become and the fact that everything is and has run smoothly with them. Any suggestions?

You'll want to move all the gravel, decorations, and filter media to the new tank along with the fish. Then make sure to keep an eye on the water parameters for the next week or so.

Rainbow sharks are know to be territorial. If your going to add new fish, they'll need to be in the tank before the shark can establish its territory. Otherwise I see no problems. A good option would be a school of silver dollars.

The surest and easiest method to accomplish your tank transition kimbucktu, is with a sponge filter. I can't tell you how many tanks I've started this way and have never had a cycle prob.

Sponges have so much surface area that they are the ideal for bio filtration. Using an air pump forces water through the sponge and accelerates the process. Simply run one in your existing tank for a week to 10 days. Move the filter and fish into your new tank at the same time. Allow the sponge filter to run in your new tank until the good bacteria has had a chance to establish itself in your new filter. Then remove it if you don't like the look. :wink:

Back
Top Bottom