Advice on overstocked tank (maybe)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

8taktaktak8

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
A friend who had worked at Petco believed himself to be a fish expert and although I was happy with my calm and happy tank, decided to show up at my house with 5 new fish. I didn't ask for these fish and had previously stated how happy I was with how my tank was set up.

He had purchased 2 Red Tetras and 3 Black Skirt Tetras as well as an unidentified crab.

Two of the Black Skirts are continuously fighting and the Red Eye are obviously unhappy with the lack of a school. The schools that had been well established before, have been pushed to the lower parts of the tank to make room for the feuding Black Skirts. I also don't know if the crab is going to be problematic and honestly don't have a clue if I need to change feeding habits and patterns to accommodate it.

My tank stats are now:
36 gallon tank

3 Neon Tetras
6 Peppered Corydoras
5 Southern Platy
3 Glowlight Tetras
3 Black Skirt Tetras
2 Red Eye Tetras
1 Unidentified Crab

8 Various live plants

I feel like my tank is now pushing the limits of what it can handle. I've only had a snail die on me in the year I've owned the tank and would really be upset if these new additions are going to ruin the symbiosis I had previously. Any suggestions?

The crab is most likely going to eat ur other fish if it can catch them also the crab needs to have a place to get out of the water as well....and as far as over stocked I don't know much about tetras and such so somebody else maybe able to answer that part better

If you are happy with your tank, take the other fish back and thank your friend for their thoughtfulness but inform him those fish are not compatible with what you have and your tank is already well stocked.

And like the previous person said, the crab will eat any fish it can get his claws into and he also needs a platform to get out of the water

If taking the fish back is a difficult solution as the nearest Walmart (where they were purchased) is 6 hours away, should I be looking for other solutions? Are there temporary options for housing fish that don't require a lot of set up? The nearest fish friendly pet store is about 2 hours away.

Living in the middle of nowhere makes caring for fish tricky, I order almost everything online.

If rehoming isnt an option, can you set up a 20g high tank for the new tetras? If you don't fill it all the way and add a ledge for the crab they may (pending the crab type) be okay together. Obviously you'd need to fill out their schools too.

Back
Top Bottom