Advice on populating my tank:

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

StaceLou

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi. New to this forum. Just looking for some general advice on populating the tank. I'm so anxious of over populating the tank, I thought I'd get your advice.
I have a 110l freshwater tank. It has been established for about 5 Weeks.
I have:
6 Swordtails
4 black mollys
5 peppered corys

I've got one pregnant female swordtail, with the possibility of a second being pregnant.

Should I get any more fish? I'm quite keen to get a Pleco, and maybe another different type of fish. Any suggestions? THANKS.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Im not sure about a pleco. They produce alot of waste. I have 3 in my tank and its a nightmare with the warer changes and gravel cleaning. . Check out this stocking calculator and see what you get.

Heres the link. http://aqadvisor.com/

Sent from my SM-G900F using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Im not sure about a pleco. They produce alot of waste. I have 3 in my tank and its a nightmare with the warer changes and gravel cleaning. . Check out this stocking calculator and see what you get.

Heres the link. http://aqadvisor.com/

Sent from my SM-G900F using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Yes pleco's are very messy. Only get one if you like a large bioload and just the species in general. The "algae eater" is a load of crap. It eats some algae but poops 3x more.

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS

I really like the species but only wanted one if it were to help with cleaning etc. if it does the opposite then I don't want one!
Aqadvisor states my tank is over populated [emoji31] this is sad. But I don't want to affect the fish I have

You shouldn't be overstocked. Just make sure you keep up with water changes and be ready to deal with a whole ton of fry. You are actually understocked in my opinion. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Thanks Nils. That's reassuring that you don't think I'm overstocked. My partner is really keen to get a red tailed shark. I've read that ruby sharks are less aggressive but otherwise the same? Is it advised to get just 1 shark. Or should they be avoided too?

I really like the species but only wanted one if it were to help with cleaning etc. if it does the opposite then I don't want one!
Aqadvisor states my tank is over populated [emoji31] this is sad. But I don't want to affect the fish I have

Swordtails get fairly large. I'm sure that's why the tank is overstocked. If they're having babies be prepared.

Plecos, algae eaters and other fish like that really produce more waste than they clean up. If you want the fish you should get it because it's cute or something. For cleaning get snails.

For what it's worth I agree that your stocking is fine! I'm not sure I'd add anything, but as is I think you're in good shape.

Back
Top Bottom