Advice requested/questions on free tank from co-worker (long

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JenNewbie

Aquarium Advice Freak
Got the 20gal tall tank today. It is truly filthy, but it actually may not need resealing. Is this something I should just do anyway? Looking at the dates on some of the test chemicals, the tank may have been out of use for over 10 yrs. I tossed out all the chemicals that came w/ the tank (ph clear, Amquel, etc.) but I used the nitrite/ammonia test kits on my existing tank and they seem to work okay (sigh...ammonia was 0 but nitrite was 0.25 :cry: I thought I was done cycling!!) I'm tempted to hang on to them. The wires to the HOB filter and hood were chewed through by something in the barn, and I want to know if it would be easier to find a new hood and HOB or if the existing ones can be rewired? I know nothing about electronics and have no real desire to learn at this point, so unless the DIY option is incredibly easy, anyone have suggestions on where to find a hood, a HOB filter, a heater (and brands/models of all of the above)? I will check out bigalsonline.com for sure! Let's see... the air pump isn't too quiet, but it works and the tank has decorations & gravel in it, all filthy. Is the gravel worth cleaning, or should I just get new substrate? And last, but not least, there is a chip on the edge of one of the sides and it appears that a small crack underneath goes through to just where the seal starts. My co-worker thought it might be repaired with a windshield repair kit. Is that a good idea? (I wish I had a digital camera...!) Thanks all!

The thing is Jen it's very hard to give meaningful advice without actually seeing what you're up against. Before you put too much time and money into that tank you'd be wise to fill it and check for leaks.

As for the gravel....if it's to your liking, you just need to rinse until the water run off is clear. I've a feeling everything in that tank has been dry for sometime. Is that correct?

Agree with BrianNY
You should fill the aquarium, the one thing to remember about silicon is that when it drys after being wet it can crack. It also depends or where it was kept when not in use, as changes in temp (weather Hot/cold etc.) also how much it has been moved while not in use as this will also make the silicon crack.
It is best to be safe than sorry, fill it with water and let it stand for a while to check for leaks.
HTH

Well, the tank stood overnight with water in it. The glass is cracked, not the silicon. There is a chip on the glass on the outside of one edges and underneath it is a crack. Right where the crack is it would leak a bead of water, but the water level did not change overnight, so can I get away with extending the seal to go beyond the crack? I will do my best to get pictures of what the hell I'm talking about. It will take a few days to clean everything well enough so that the tank can even be sealed. Other than the sealing of the tank, my main question is whether I should be looking for a new hood or if I can splice a cord with a plug onto the chewed end of the hood light cord? The tank is an odd size, about 12"x 12" square and 24" high. How likely am I to find a hood that size? The thing I don't like about this hood is that the light sits below the hood, directly above the water. I'd like a hood with a recessed light and maybe even a glass or plastic insert between the light and the water. Well, I'll see how things go tomorrow and let you know.

I'm gonna burst your bubble Jen. Everything you say here sounds bad. The worst thing are the dimensions of the tank. You couldn't put much of anything in that. You've got 1 sq ft of surface space. Not much more than a goldfish bowl.

IMO, tanks are inexpensive. It's the rest of the stuff that adds up. Lights, filters, etc. I wouldn't invest anything in a tank of that size. If you'd have to buy lighting and filters anyway, you're better off going out and buying a new tank as well.

Sorry if that's not what you want to hear, but it is honest. :cry:

Brian

Unfortunately I agree with Brian. That crack can quickly become a problem, even if its sealed, as its obviously a weak point. Water is pretty heavy and the pressure can pop out the crack when you least expect it (Like, when you aren't home). You might want to look into converting it into a reptile tank instead.

Nooooo! Don't burst my bubble! I LIKE it in here! And I even figured out that I only need to replace the motor on the filter (or whatever that box is that the cord comes out of). How in the world do I find parts online? I had no luck searching bigalsonline.com for parts. It's a Second Nature whisper power filter model J. And the hood just needs a new light insert.... Sigh. I guess it would be better to check out yard sales or thrift stores for used tanks. Anyone want a reptile tank? :cry:

Cheer up Jen :D . This is probably saving you a lot of grief later on :wink:

A 20G tank is only $10-15 new, depending on what store you go to. When dealing with smaller tanks such as these, its often easier to just buy a new one. Possibly save you a lot of grief too.

Hiya Jen,
You are not having much luck with this tank :cry: The guys are right, go get yourself a new one it would be safer.
As for your pump, you say the tank was 10yrs old so i am guessing the equipment would be of the same age. Alot of company's when they make a product only supply spareparts for about 6yrs. If you phone up the company that makes the pump they might be able to find you a part but they will probably have to blow the dust of it first.
Going by what i have read you can get some great deals over there, Big Al's is mentioned a lot.
Don't be disheartened there is always gold at the end of the rainbow.
Hopefully soon you will be telling us about this great deal you got and giving us loads of rabit ( sorry london slag, means talk alot) about it.

GOOD LUCK.

Well, so far here are the possibilities: a friend who works at Petco may know someone with an Eclipse 12 or 15 that she may not need. There is a 20gal tank w/ stand and extras for $75 on craigslist. A lfs has a new 20gal set up for $89 and Drs. Foster & Smith have the Eclipse 12 on sale for $71.99. I checked the local thrift stores and, while one of them had a whole shelf of small birdcages (what the heck is THAT all about?!), none had anything resembling a fish tank. I will now extend my white trash experience for the day and call Wally world to get prices on tanks. Woo HOO!

The good news is I found a place to live and she didn't say a thing when I listed the pets (dog, 2 cats, 5gal tank) and mentioned that I was hoping to get a 15 or 20 gal tank, too. I don't want to go for anything bigger, though. Just something I can have fun with but that won't be impossible to move later on!

OK Jen, that's good thinking. IMO you'd do better just buying the tank, light and stand (if you want one) as seperates. The prices on filters and heaters are much better at bigals. Do a little comparrison shopping that way and see if it saves you anything.

Brian

Forget about Lord of the rings, we have a blockbuster here. "JENS QUEST FOR A FISH TANK"
Great news on a place to live :D Just waiting for the news on your new fish tank.

Good Hunting.

Is that SARCASM I smell? :eek: Or just jealousy? :p Be nice or I will have to send my big bad bully molly over to put you in your place.

I know have an offer for a free 25 gal tank. Gotta love craigslist!

Back
Top Bottom