Advice stocking a 90 gallon

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

petunia100

Aquarium Advice Activist
My parents have a 90 gallon tank that I've been helping them with. I've been really proud of them. They grew up just toping off tanks, but I've given them some help and they've done a really good job maintaing the tank. My dad has it as a display tank in his office, and he changes the water once every two weeks. It's been set up since December, after some inital problems it's been healthy for two months now. Except for some fish that dissappeared suddenly overnight, but we're suspicious that someone may have taken them from the tank.

Anyways it currently has

- 3 angels (about the side of a quarter, they've had them since they were dime size!, I didn't know fish stores sold them that small!)
- 4 boesmani rainbows, very beautiful, I think they are all males
- 2 turquoise rainbows 1 male, 1 female
-2 "red" rainbows 1 male, 1 female (not all red, red with a black stripe)
-2 julii cories
-4 diamond tetras
-3 harliquin raspboras
-3 black phantom tetras (all juv.)

Now for the advice. I would like to round out some of the schools, (definately more juliis,and harliquins), and my mom really has her heart set on a group of cardinal tetras ( I told her no neons, they would eventually be angel food). And my dad would like a small interesting pleco, nothing big (>6in) but hopefully colorful. The tank is fairly heavily planted (aniubus, crypts, and vals) with a couple of rocks and 3 big chunks of driftwood.

Any suggestions on how many fish I could include in my schools? Or if a pleco or other bottom dwellers could be added? I know about the 1in/ gal rule but I know it can be broken. Oh, they have an eheim canister filter also, I forget which one but I know it's rated for over 90 gallons.

I'd love to hear your thoughts!

go for big schools. 10 cories and 10 harlequins, at least. you have the space for it, so why not?

clown plecos are cool, also gold nugget plecos. they stay fairly small and the gold nuggets have beautiful yellow-tipped fins and yellow spots. that would be my pick

or if you're rolling in money, zebra plecos are beyond beautiful. (and, uh, if you're rolling in money, you could buy a couple for nice people on AA too!)

This is one of the plecos I have been looking at in my lfs. I really like the white spots of the snowball, but the clowns are colorful too, and in a nicer price range. :) They seem like they would make a nice addition to the community tank.

Any suggestions on sizes for the schools for the tetras and cories?

Back
Top Bottom