After water change, fish dies

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
If chlorine can kill fish as you have witnessed, why subject them to it on a regular basis? At least some amount of chlorine would enter the system if elements of said system were "rinsed" in a known solution containing chlorine.

I did the no dechlorinator thing once, I picked up on it because the fish swam away from the "new water" where they would normally play in the fresh flow.

It was my first tank which was a fish in cycle, currently cycling, absolute beginner (many moons ago) can't say if any damage was caused to the cycle as I already had "significant readings suited to a fish in scenario"

(I did some research)

Chlorine kills bacteria,

Free chlorine is used to control nitrification? 1.8mg/l will penetrate biofilm.

Chloramines are used in the same way.

(See Breakpoint chlorination)

http://maps.stanford.edu/sites/all/lbre-shared/files/docs_public/stanford_chloramine.pdf

Paragraph 7. (Briefly summarised)

How to make tap water safe for fish - The Free Freshwater and Saltwater Aquarium Encyclopedia Anyone Can Edit - The Aquarium Wiki
Dr Burgess.

I'm aware of the purpose for which chlorine/chloramine is added to the water supply. I simply think that too much emphasis is placed on "OMG tap water will kill all of your bacteria IMMEDIATELY!!!!!!" because people read this on forums and parrot it as fact. If this were the case, I would nuke my sponge filters every time I do a large water change, as I fill directly from the tap.

I think there was something else going on, as I mentioned. Neither here nor there as the OP seems to have not returned to the thread.

I'm aware of the purpose for which chlorine/chloramine is added to the water supply. I simply think that too much emphasis is placed on "OMG tap water will kill all of your bacteria IMMEDIATELY!!!!!!" because people read this on forums and parrot it as fact. If this were the case, I would nuke my sponge filters every time I do a large water change, as I fill directly from the tap. I think there was something else going on, as I mentioned. Neither here nor there as the OP seems to have not returned to the thread.
you're a hood kid mama; ) all this repetition...

Back
Top Bottom