Aggressive bn Pleco?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Guppyman34

Aquarium Advice Freak
About a month ago I bought a bn pleco, and lately after I came back from vacation I've noticed he's started to chase my cories away from his area at feeding time. Should I be worried about this?

Attachments

• image-2502339722.jpg
    image-2502339722.jpg
    185.2 KB · Views: 104
It is very normal for plecos to become territorial or even aggressive with other bottom dwellers or even mid dwellers at times.
My Bn Pleco goes to bat against my Emperor Tetras all of the time whenever they try to steal his algae wafer, and they are twice his size.
Just keep an eye on him just to make sure they are not inflicting injury on each other and if this does become the case you might want to consider separation.

Yeah my male bristle nose has recently become very angry with the much larger female bristle and eel tailed catfish. Generally you wont get injuries on the condition your tank isn't too small or overcrowded however.

When i was a kid i had a goldfish tank 10 gallons.. Foolishly put a pleco in there.. I was surprised of the outcome. Pleco destroyed them. Learned my lesson haha

Thanks for all the replies! I noticed these little bristly things popping out of the side of his head when he "attacks" the other cories, what exactly are these?

Bristles? Males have very noticeable ones on their noses.

Cynic said:
Bristles? Males have very noticeable ones on their noses.

These aren't really on his nose, but they poof out when he charges another fish... Here's a bad pic of where they kinda are.

Attachments

• image-433518845.jpg
    image-433518845.jpg
    102.7 KB · Views: 73
Back
Top Bottom