aggressive fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Phoenixphire55

Aquarium Advice Freak
I'm just curious about aggressive fish. I assume aggressive tanks have to be pretty sparsely stocked. I've been planning a lot of ideas for tanks but have yet to consider aggressive species. I'm wondering what aggressive species some of you have and what a good set up (tank size, compatible species) would be for some really awesome aggressive fish. I've never really been interested in the tiny schooling fish but maybe they could be cool. A Lot of people seem to like them.

No wimpy fish for me. Always kept central/south americans such as Oscars, jacks, convicts, firemouths, jaguars, etc. Always kept the oscars twice the size of the others as they are not very aggressive but cool pets. And beware in advance, most everyone on here will tell you to get at least a 55 and keep two, two inch fish in it. I have never had a problem keeping about 6-8 medium size cichilds in my 55 with very few to no problems whatsoever.

Thanks for the info. And yeah, if I get a 55 gallon tank or larger I'm definitely putting more than two fish in it, lol. I understand the reasons not to overstock but two fish 2-inch fish would never be worth the money put into a tank that size.

As long as you stay away from the real bullies you can put quite a few in a 55. Provide enough interesting territories for everyone to stake a claim and switch it around when you introduce new fish.
If you go with the schooling fish like barbs and tetras instead, they can be nippy. If keep at least 5 or 6 of the same kind then they tend to just chase their own kind.

While I greatly enjoy my 55 gal Community tank, I love the African Cichlids. They are semi-aggressive to agressive. You have to be cautious when stocking them because every fish is different. All of their personalities are different. You may end up getting a fish that is so aggressive it can't be stocked with any other fish.

Back
Top Bottom