Aggressive Ghost Shrimp Tried To Eat a Live Rummynose Tetra

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lt.

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I just had a ghost shrimp attack a rummy nose tetra! A big ghost shrimp came up to a low swimming rummy nose tetra and grabbed it by the tail! The rummy nose got away, but not until after a huge struggle! Now his tail is a bit torn up!

The fish is dead, and nothing mire than a skeleton now. The shrimp ate him while I was at work today.

Yeah i freaking hate those guys. I had some and they killed my ANGEL! Grabed it while it was sleeping i think. O and one time one was swiming near the surface and i put my hand in and it pinched my finger. It felt like a needle. Nedless to say they were gone the next day. I put one in my bigger tank with a big angel, gbr, tetras and corys and its still alive, hiding all the time but still alive.

The issue is that there are a few species of 'ghost shrimp' out there, and there are a few species that erroneously get put in with ghost shrimp too. I think the nastiest one is actually a species of prawn, although the exact identity escapes me.

The ghost shrimp later got ahold of the Rummy again and finished what was started...I euthanized the shrimp so as to eliminate the risk to the other rummies.

So is this common behavior among shrimp or just certain ghost shrimp? I have some cherry shrimp reserved I was going to add to my tank after cycled, but if they are a potential threat to my fish I will not get them.

I had a "ghost Shrimp" take a whole neon right out the water column in front of my eyes. I took the fish back and carefully watch my shrimp. I have also seen the same ghost take down an assassin snail!!

Don't get me started on ghost shrimp! I lost 5 Bettas in one night because I added ONE shrimp in each of their tanks. They where really tiny shrimp and full grown Bettas. Woke up to find 5 eaten alive and one alive with no fins at all. What ever I got sold were nasty!

So is this common behavior among shrimp or just certain ghost shrimp? I have some cherry shrimp reserved I was going to add to my tank after cycled, but if they are a potential threat to my fish I will not get them.

I believe it's a certain uncommon subset of "ghost shrimp". I would not feel wary of putting cherry shrimp in a tank at all.

I believe it's a certain uncommon subset of "ghost shrimp". I would not feel wary of putting cherry shrimp in a tank at all.

It is Aqua_Chem.

As you were saying before, a few types of Shrimp get mixed around and sold under the moniker as "Ghost Shrimp." The most deadly being the Long Armed Prawn. It looks exactly like a Ghostie when young but then develops more predatory behaviors and long arms.

I still wouldn't put RCS with any Ghost Shrimp personally but I know others have had success.

Back
Top Bottom