Aggressive platy fry?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RoK

Aquarium Advice Addict
I've finally found some platy fry in my planted 20g that I was able to get into a breeder net. 3 are all I found.
1 is greyish while the other two are orangish with some black in the fins (so I guess those are red wag's). Are some born greyish and then turn to a different color as they age?
AFAIK, they're about 1.5 weeks old. The greyish one chases the other 2 fairly often. Is he/she aggressive or just playing around? I've just never heard of aggressive fry (especially platies!?!).

Oh, also I currently have the temperature at 88F because some of the fish had ick. Could the higher temperature have anything to do with aggression or anything of that sort?

I wouldn't imagine it's aggression, probably more being playful. The increased temps would not affect aggression, it will increase the fish's metabolism, but I don't see how it could cause aggression.

at the higher temps for treating ich, my fry look like they're on fast forward.

What about their color? Does it sometimes change very significantly as they get bigger?

I had some grey looking fry, they didn't make it. I think they were preemies or something.Their coloring does get brighter as they get older. Actually, out of about 50 fry, I only have 2 males and about 20 females 4 months later. The males are still tiny also. I don't know if it's the ph or something about my water that makes it unfavorable for male fry to survive, but feed them very ofetn (I do 3-4 times a day), do PWC often (I do 2-3 times a week) and they should grow nicely. Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom