Algae Eater bad for a goldfish tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kayrocker

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I love my aquarium and my 5 goldfish. They're all real spunky and seem to like one another very much. I've owned them for 3 months. 2 months ago, a friend suggested getting an algae eater. I asked a fish advisor at PetSmart if it was okay to include one in a goldfish tank. He said it would fine if all fish seem to adapt nicely for a few days (if not, I can return it). They all have... at the start.

Recently, "Speedy" has become aggressive. In my observational opinion (I'm probably wrong), I believe he has inspected and sucked every inch of the tank. He now chases all the other fish, looking like he wants to suck on their tails (things that haven't yet been inspected)! At first, it was kind of amusing, but now it seems the goldfish are annoyed. I certainly don't want them to develop any negative behavior.

Should I not keep "Speedy"? I like him a lot. It's been 2 months and I'm proud to have raised such a healthy fish. He's beautiful and I love how he darts around the tank and tenaciously bottom feeds. But he'll have to go if I see anything off with the goldfish.

Welcome to AA!
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/artic...-to-Starting-a-Freshwater-Aquarium/Page1.html
Exactly what kind of fish is speedy? Just from what you've said he sounds like a chinese algae eater. They can become very aggressive as the mature. Algae eaters of any kind are usually not recommended for goldfish tanks because they can suck the slime coat of the fish causing 'hickies'. The wounds can then become infected.
What size tank and how many goldfish? Also what kinds of goldfish?

Ive always kept sucking catfish with my goldfish. Saying that though, I've had good ones who didn't bother the goldfish and ones that did. I just returned the rogue ones and swapped them.

Eventually it will become wayyy to small for goldfish yes
They get large & have a very large bioload

100L is suitable for one *maybe* two fancy goldfish if you did extra water changes and heavy filtration. Commons or comets need 200L each or, ideally, a pond. They are large messy fish. The ones you see in the stores are just babies.

Thank you for the quick response, Elise.

You can find my tank info under my "About Me":
Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community - View Profile: Kayrocker

Yes, "Speedy" looks like a Chinese AE, looks like this one:
Chinese Algae Eater Fish Care » We're All Wet

You said they are not recommended for goldfish because they can cause "hickies." Is it limited to just goldfish? Can the same not be said for tropical tanks? Do they treat tropical fish differently?

My goldfish look like and are the same size as:
Redcap Oranda Goldfish, Carassius auratus, Fancy goldfish, goldfish Care and information with goldfish pictures

Thanks! ~~James

Return the algae eater (whatever kind it may be). They dont belong with goldfish & as Mumma already stated, they are known for 'snacking' on goldfish slimecoats at night when the tank is dark. This will lead to all kinds of infections & host of other problems.

Kayrocker said:
Thank you for the quick response, Elise.

You can find my tank info under my "About Me":
Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community - View Profile: Kayrocker

Yes, "Speedy" looks like a Chinese AE, looks like this one:
Chinese Algae Eater Fish Care » We're All Wet

You said they are not recommended for goldfish because they can cause "hickies." Is it limited to just goldfish? Can the same not be said for tropical tanks? Do they treat tropical fish differently?

My goldfish look like and are the same size as:
Redcap Oranda Goldfish, Carassius auratus, Fancy goldfish, goldfish Care and information with goldfish pictures

Thanks! ~~James

Hi James.
CAE (Chinese algae eaters) aren't really suitable for any tank other than semi aggressive - aggressive cichlid tanks. They only eat algae when they are small and young. As jlk said I really think you should return him or find him a new home. He's not suited to your gold fish tank or a peaceful tropical community.

I have to address your tank size. 20g is only suitable for one oranda goldfish. The rule of stocking fancy goldfish is 20g for the first one and 10g for each after that. For 5 fancies your looking at a 60G tank minimum. Goldfish go most of their growing in the first 3 years life so the more space and clean water you can provide at this time the better.
Your guys are only babies at 2.5inches. Expect them to grow to about a foot long with proper care.
Filtration is important with goldfish. It is recommended to have a filter (or multiple filters) that can circulate 10x the tanks volume an hour. Eg: 60g tank needs filter that does 600 gallons per hour minimum. This rule applies to correctly stocked tanks. If its over stocked, the more the better.
Water changes are extremely important on goldfish tanks. On a correctly stocked tank 1-2 50% water changes must be done each week to keep water quality optimum. I would suggest a water change on your tank 2-3 times a week at this stage. The longer you leave your Goldies in the 20g the more water changes you will need. Eventually it will be daily if you don't upgrade their tank.
Do you own a test kit? If not, I recommend the API freshwater master test kit. Don't get strips they are known for being highly inaccurate.
Any questions? :)

Oh I forgot a few things. :)
Goldfish benefit from green vege in their diet. Try feeding blanched, deshelled peas and broccoli a few times a week. Also swapping from flakes to a high quality sinking pellet will help avoid digestive issues associated with flakes.
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/artic...-to-Starting-a-Freshwater-Aquarium/Page1.html
Have a read of this. It contains good info for beginner hobbyists.

That is why I do not advise pleco's for a goldfish tank. Goldfish need their slime to protect themselves from infection and a pleco with adhere himself to a host rendering your pet near death. A store will not prohibit you from buying a fish of any species, or they lose revenue. Take out the pleco, keep him in another tank and use him in the goldfish tank when you need him like a maintanence fish, then remove him back to his quaters. Any other advice email me.
Good luck
Feeding Goldfish........Bloodworms thawed from frozen, Thawed Krill, not freeze dried, Unshelled thawed frozen peas, and sinking pellets so they dont gulp air from the surface giving them swim bladder disease.

Adding a pleco to a goldfish aquarium

That is why I do not advise pleco's for a goldfish tank. Goldfish need their slime to protect themselves from infection and a pleco with adhere himself to a host rendering your pet near death. A store will not prohibit you from buying a fish of any species, or they lose revenue. Take out the pleco, keep him in another tank and use him in the goldfish tank when you need him like a maintanence fish, then remove him back to his quaters. Any other advice email me.
Good luck

Fishman4u said:
Good luck
Feeding Goldfish........Bloodworms thawed from frozen, Thawed Krill, not freeze dried, Unshelled thawed frozen peas, and sinking pellets so they dont gulp air from the surface giving them swim bladder disease.

Your aware we aren't talking about a pleco aren't you? The OP has a CAE not a pleco.

Back
Top Bottom