Algae eaters

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Walkbreathe

Aquarium Advice Regular
I hope I have posted this in the correct section. What Im wondering is what's the most suitable algae eater for my tank.
Details: 65 litres, bin running a month, current stock 6x neon tetras. Chemical levels all good. If any more information is required please ask.

Thanks

are you getting the algae eater to get rid of a problem or just in case?

Have quite abit of algae now, I'm wondering whether shrimps or snails or what the best option for me is? To keep it under control

what is it like?is it brown and dusty?green?other?

I've found shrimp to be the best option. For example, my amano shrimp will tear thru any algae and not be pooping machines like some of the algae eaters I've tried in the past and near as I can tell, they'll eat any algae they can get to, as well as left over food and poop.

EDIT: Here's a link to a great site on algae causes/solutions: Greater Washington Aquatic Plant Association » Algae in the Planted Aquarium

probably just excess nutrients,with some diatoms mixed in.you might be overfeeding.

I have been feeding a small amount once a day, then not at all 1 day in 7 could this be too much?

that sounds good,the lights could be causing the algae,how many watts are they? for a tank as smallas yours,you could try amano shrimp.

There's 2 lights which are 30w each although I usually only keep one on at a time

your probably experiencing diatoms,and green algae.do you know your water parameters?im pretty sure green algae like ammonia,which brings me to another question,was your tank cycled?

Yeah tank cycled, currently at trace ammonia, 0 nitrite and a small amount of nitrate

Back
Top Bottom