Algae Magnets - worth it?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

henry1245

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hi All,

I have an algae scraper already, but noticed you can get Algae Magnet s which supposidly do the same thing.

I'm pretty sure they can't be as good as an algae scraper with a blade in it, however are they any good at all? (they look much easier than using my algae scraper and i wouldn't have to get my hands in the tank)

Does anyone use them and are they any good?

I think they do a fairly good job and are great for a quick scraping. They can also double as a veggie clip. Nothing replaces a good scrapper and some elbow grease but they do work and you don't have to get wet to clean the glass.

I have a mag floating in almost every tank in the house, I think it's invaluable tool for cleaning inside the tank.

rebekahbirch said:
i haven't used them because i thought they scratched the glass? (not sure about this though!)

They can scratch acrylic tanks if there is any debris stuck in between them, gravel etc.

I also have a mag float in every single tank in my house. LOL Like said above, absolutely invaluable for a quick cleaning. :-D

I just bought a Mag-Float last week and my tank looks so so... ...much better! No scratches and like pantherspawn said they will scratch acrylic tanks and if it has something hard stuck in-between the magnet it also will.

Fishman13 said:
I just bought a Mag-Float last week and my tank looks so so... ...much better! No scratches and like jetajockey said they will scratch acrylic tanks and if it has something hard stuck in-between the magnet it also will.

That's not my name.. haha

They'll scratch glass too.... just don't run them down in to a finer substrate and you won't have issues though. I have one in each tank as well. They're especially handy when you're experimenting with ferts in a high tech, high light planted tank, and GSA decides to make itself at home.

I just got a magnet scraper and it's a time saver to say the least. I was like you and figured my pad/scraper was fine, but have since see the light lol. Best part is you can use it anytime you want, worst part is my Moors think it's a toy or food and like to get in the way of me using it.

Sold! I'll get one this week (I cut my finger changing the blade of my scraper at the weekend which also helped make my mind up!)

Thanks for your advice guys!

Back
Top Bottom