Algaefied tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

nitrous

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I have a 20 gallon tank that has a large amount of algae all over it. the tank has 5 tetras, 3 rasboras and 2 small plecos-1 albino bristlenose and another rubber lip which are both .75 inch, and 3 small plattys. the tank has 30 w of light but i tried to delute it by covering one side because when i took out one of the 2 bulbs it would flicker. i also have co2 going into the tank so why does it still have algae? i also restarted the whole tank like a month ago and all the algae came back. how can i get it to be clean and algae free? also i believe the algae is string algae

thanks

nitrous

nitrous said:
I have a 20 gallon tank that has a large amount of algae all over it. the tank has 5 tetras, 3 rasboras and 2 small plecos-1 albino bristlenose and another rubber lip which are both .75 inch, and 3 small plattys. the tank has 30 w of light but i tried to delute it by covering one side because when i took out one of the 2 bulbs it would flicker. i also have co2 going into the tank so why does it still have algae? i also restarted the whole tank like a month ago and all the algae came back. how can i get it to be clean and algae free? also i believe the algae is string algae

thanks

nitrous
i am not sure what "string" alage is :? thread algae?

since you stated you have CO2 i will assume this is a planted tank. some one will move it to the planted forum.

that said i will get the ball rolling...

things we need to know...

1. what kind(s) of algae is it? HERE

2. DIY or Pressurized CO2? what is your ppm?

3. what (if anything) are you dosing? and how much?

4. need the following test readings (if you do not have these test then i highly suggest purchasing them)

PH=
KH=
GH=
Ammonia=
Nitrite=
Nitrate=
Phosphate=

5. if possible post some pictures

ill get the testing tomarrow, its hair algae and the its not diy co2 but its the kit that you can buy offline so idk the ppm and im not dosing anything

nitrous said:
ill get the testing tomarrow, its hair algae and the its not diy co2 but its the kit that you can buy offline so idk the ppm and im not dosing anything
well with those test (PH and KH) we can find the ppm of CO2) if you are running CO2 you will have to start dosing ferts. co2 causes the plants to burn through what ever is in the tank from fish waste and water changes and when that is gone it leave the door open for opportunistic algae...

if you see this before going to the store to pick up test kits i would also see if you can pick up some of the following ferts...

Nitrate
Phosphate
Potassium
Trace w/ Iron

i generally recommend the Flourish brand ferts. that said the most economical way to buy ferts would be to order dry from Gregwatson.com

Back
Top Bottom