All livebearer tank planning

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ponch

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hi all - i Currently have a 26 gallon with 9 neon tetras, 3 black mollies (2M,1F) and 2 silver sail-fin mollies (both female).

Thinking of trading in the neons so I can add a few other species of livebearers such as Swordtails and Platies.

With 5 mollies already in there could I add 3 swords and 3 platies in a 1M:2F for each and be ok in terms of

- bio load
- m:f ratios
- compatibility

?

Thanks!

Hi all - i Currently have a 26 gallon with 9 neon tetras, 3 black mollies (2M,1F) and 2 silver sail-fin mollies (both female).

Thinking of trading in the neons so I can add a few other species of livebearers such as Swordtails and Platies.

With 5 mollies already in there could I add 3 swords and 3 platies in a 1M:2F for each and be ok in terms of

- bio load
- m:f ratios
- compatibility

?

Thanks!

They're compatible, the m:f ratios are fine, the bioload could be pushing it, but if you have a good filter, you should be fine. What filter are you running? Some people say swordtails need 30-40+ gallons because of activity, but I had one in my 5 gal. and it was perfectly happy and healthy. So it's really up to you.

bud29 said:
They're compatible, the m:f ratios are fine, the bioload could be pushing it, but if you have a good filter, you should be fine. What filter are you running? Some people say swordtails need 30-40+ gallons because of activity, but I had one in my 5 gal. and it was perfectly happy and healthy. So it's really up to you.

Thx for the quick reply. Running an aqeon 30 as well as a 4x4 sponge filter which houses most of the tanks BB. I have started feeding 2x / day as of a few weeks ago bc I have a pregnant Molly about to drop fry and I want to try and save as many fry as possible. Suppose the added benefit here is the additional feeding per day is helping to build the tanks bio-filter.

I've heard stocking slowly and conservatively is the way to go.

That said imagine I should probably NOT replace 9 light bio/load neon tetras with 6 heavy biology livebearers in one fell swoop, right?

Maybe do 3 platies and then If all goes well intro the 3 swords? Still kinda nervous about adding even 3 livebearers at once knowing their bio loads.... But Maybe if I buy younger stock that would help ease the bioload build up in?

Just ran the set up through aqadvisor.com and got a pretty clear message about being overstocked!

Your aquarium filtration capacity for above selected species is 106%
Recommended water change schedule: 43% per week.
Your aquarium stocking level is 147%.
Your tank is overstocked. Unless you are an experienced aquarist who can meet the maintenance/biological needs of this aquarium, lower stocking levels are recommended.

May need to upgrade the tank size! (wife not gonna be happy) !!

Just ran the set up through aqadvisor.com and got a pretty clear message about being overstocked!

Your aquarium filtration capacity for above selected species is 106%
Recommended water change schedule: 43% per week.
Your aquarium stocking level is 147%.
Your tank is overstocked. Unless you are an experienced aquarist who can meet the maintenance/biological needs of this aquarium, lower stocking levels are recommended.

May need to upgrade the tank size! (wife not gonna be happy) !!

Well, while aqadvisor is a good start its stocking advice can be a little odd. I put in aqadvisor that I had 1 guppy in my 5 gallon and it said the same thing as it said to you. I do think though that it gets more accurate the bigger the tank you get. I put in what I was gonna get and it in my 34 gallon and it said I was 100% stocked. I then asked other people on the forum how well my tank was stocked and they said about the same.

Oh, and I think your idea of adding 3 platys first and waiting is great. That's probably the best way to go. They do add more to the bioload but if you're taking out 9 neon tetras, it should be better. The bioload might increase more, but not as much as if you would have kept the neons.

bud29 said:
Oh, and I think your idea of adding 3 platys first and waiting is great. That's probably the best way to go. They do add more to the bioload but if you're taking out 9 neon tetras, it should be better. The bioload might increase more, but not as much as if you would have kept the neons.

Cool. I was reading your thread about fishless cycling and caught the tip from HN1 to wait about 2-2.5 weeks between stockings... So I'll use that as a minimum guideline...maybe going a little longer to be safe.

Sorry for jumping around but Interesting side note - aqadvisor also warned against keeping platies and swordtails in same tank to prevent inter-breeding... Which is actually a value added tip... Never crossed my mind. Does anyone know if crosses bw platies and swordtails are genetically inferior to pure breeds? Would the offspring live normally and able to reproduce? ( heard that crosses of mollies and guppies are infertile most often which is natures way ). Thx.

Back
Top Bottom