Am I in danger of Overstocking?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

redwhiptailplec

Aquarium Advice Activist
Okay I have a 20 gallon tank which is quite heavily planted. I know all the typical overstocking rules and such, my tank is well cycled and has low levels of Nitrates etc. Oh and it is not a 20 gallon high tank.

Currently I have:

1 Pleco currently about 3 "
7 Neon Tetras
5 Orange Von Rio Tetras
3 Upside Down Cats
1 otocinculus

I also have some fish in quarantine, these being 3 juvenile Angels and a tiny Red Whiptail Pleco. Will it be safe adding these fish to my 20 gallon? I change my water regularly and all my levels are good.

Oh and I know a lot of these fish will grow to large for a 20 gallon, they are going to be introduced into a 55 gallon in about three months.

if they were all to stay in the 20 gal then yes you are overstocked. As long as the angels are juvys it should be ok for a few months. I know that angels require ALOT of swimming space just for themselves (recomended is 10gal each)

If you are going to get a 55 in a few motnhs here is what i would do-Ditch the pleco he is proabbly a common pleco and will egt 26+ icnhes long. Get rid of the upside down catfish, and the anglefish. If you dont do this it is a gamble if everything will be ok. I personnaly wouldnt take any chances with my fishes lives.

JMHO

If the catfish, plecos, and angelfish stay together without the others they should be fine. IMHO
If the upside-downs are the synodontis species they may get a little aggressive but if it's the Brachysynodontis species (aka Giant upside down catfish) they are very peaceful and aren't even a threat to small fish.
The syodontis look like this: http://www.planetcatfish.com/images/full/mochokidae/synodontis/nigriventris/6.jpg
The 'giant' ones look like this: http://www.planetcatfish.com/images/full/mochokidae/brachysynodontis/batensoda/2.jpg

Let us know which species of upside-down cat it is.

I assume your QT is a 10 Gal, if so, move the Tetras to the QT, put all other fish in the 20, it should be fine for 3 months.

Tetras produce little waste and would be less likely then the others to pollute a smaller tank..

Just my $.02

Also, the Angels are going to eat the Neon's, It's just a matter of time before the Angels get big enough.. They seem to be the snack of the day with any fish over 2.5" :?

Hmm, well I have read and been told by friends with tanks that angels raised from juveniles with Tetras will not see them as a mobile buffet. I must say though that the 10 gallon is doing fine with the Angels and my Whiptail Plec in it. Infact they are pretty lost in the tank all being tiddlers at the moment.

I think I might introduce the Angels to the 20 gallon though. Compensating for the high bioload by stepping up water changes from once a week to twice, and by putting in a Marineland Emperor 400 filter, which will vastly increase the tanks filtration capabilities.

That will help your filtration for sure, but have you thought about what the angels prefer? I haven't yet kept angels, but I'm getting some soon and I have heard many times that they don't like a lot of current. Don't get me wrong, the Emperor is a great filter, but I have one on a 35 gallon tank and it creates a LOT of current. It seems to me like your angels may not appreciate a filter that pumps 400 gph through their tank. Maybe you would be ok to keep your angels in your 10 gallon for a couple more months. JMO :mrgreen:

Back
Top Bottom