Am I overstocked

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I apologize if I came off as rude. It was unnecessary for me to do that and not just state the information.

Hey guys I'm tired of seeing you jumping people about the 1 inch per gallon rule. The poster meant to just give a very simple explanation that is typically a somewhat decent guideline. (Unless you use all of your stupid extreme examples) please quit attacking people like this. One iffy post and the poster gets two pages of hate? Come on.

The inch per gallon "rule/guideline" is utter nonsense. IMHO it does more harm than good for folks that are new to the hobby because it's a gross oversimplification of all things stocking. It's really, really not a somewhat decent guideline.

I haven't seen any attacking in this thread, let alone "pages of hate"... just justifications for differing opinions. "Stupid extreme examples" is honestly more of an attack than anything I've seen here.

Severus mama I was not only referring to this thread as an example of this but it happens to occur on almost every stocking thread. One beginner makes the inch per gallon reference and 10 people post some example like a 20" goldfish in a twenty gallon thing and continue to post about it for a couple days. My post was not only based off this thread but others. I'm fine with one person correcting the poster but ten people making sarcastic remarks is really unnessecary. Tats all I meant by my post. Thanks and I'm really sorry if I offended anybody. Just had to say something about a problem I've seen time and time again.

Ok thanks though. Yes I am a beginner and I don't know everything there is to know about fish but I use the 1 inch for 1gal rule to see which fish I should buy and get an estimate on how well my aquarium will do. I have done my studies in fish so I just know water changes, cleaning, feeding, and sizes. I thought he person who posted this thread was a beginner

Severus mama I was not only referring to this thread as an example of this but it happens to occur on almost every stocking thread. One beginner makes the inch per gallon reference and 10 people post some example like a 20" goldfish in a twenty gallon thing and continue to post about it for a couple days. My post was not only based off this thread but others. I'm fine with one person correcting the poster but ten people making sarcastic remarks is really unnessecary. Tats all I meant by my post. Thanks and I'm really sorry if I offended anybody. Just had to say something about a problem I've seen time and time again.

I don't think anyone was attacking him for it. Just stating how crazy that guideline can get.

Ok can we stop? I started it!!!! I ADMIT IT!!!!!!! I want info about aquariums guys and I am curious!! I love fish and I know you guys do too so lets move on

Ok can we stop? I started it!!!! I ADMIT IT!!!!!!! I want info about aquariums guys and I am curious!! I love fish and I know you guys do too so lets move on

Don't feel too upset about this. People can get very argumentative at times on this forum but 99% of the time there is no ill will involved in any of it.

Sorry if I offended you. We will move on and I apologize I didn't realize you were a beginner. No hard feelings I hope.

If you really understand about water changes and bio load then you wouldn't be even considering 1" rule

If you really understand about water changes and bio load then you wouldn't be even considering 1" rule

Enough man.

--

To OP: I'm pretty impressed with the fact you've kept the bettas so long without issues - especially with so many flashy male livebearers! I'm not sure how often you move the male one but I hope it isn't too much, as you'll be stressing him out if you do.

Also I don't understand what you mean they're there for aesthetic purposes, but anyhow.

I currently have 2 sailfin mollies in a 37g, and not only are they very active, but their only interests are eating and excreting! As mentioned earlier, they're not very well suited for a highly stocked 25g.

Once dealt with the mollies, you certainly have room to up the female numbers for your other fish :)

I only move him into the other fighter breeding tank of mine and the females are there for aesthetics because they where my sisters she went to uni and gave me the fish ( the tank is in my room)

From Godfan "Also aquaadvisor isnt the best thing to go by. It is ok but experience is best. " (Sorry I mucked up the post reply).

Not disagreeing with comments on aqadvisor or experience but wondering if you had a specific example regarding aqadvisor? Just curious. I find it quite useful but have had odd stocking results on single species tanks. Also I know why reporting to a percentage point would be done but I usually (IMO and to date) consider it +/-20%.

Last edited:
From Godfan "Also aquaadvisor isnt the best thing to go by. It is ok but experience is best. " (Sorry I mucked up the post reply).

Not disagreeing with comments on aqadvisor or experience but wondering if you had a specific example regarding aqadvisor? Just curious. I find it quite useful but have had odd stocking results on single species tanks. Also I know why reporting to a percentage point would be done but I usually (IMO and to date) consider it +/-20%.

I dont have a specific example. I was playing with it one day and just didnt find it super accurate. There are really too many variables for it to consider. I dont think a % is a great way to stock either. I can have my bioload stocked at 50% but swimming space wise maxed out. Or if you have live plants you can have extra bioload.
I just find a computer doesnt replace experience.

If you get fish with smaller bio loads like that of Tetras, you can normally go over the 1inch per gallon rule. My tank is technically overstocked by 10 inches according to that rule but the only thing in my tank with heavy bio loads are my 6 guppies and my pleco. Some argue that Guppies have smaller bioloads, maybe my guppies pick at my plants to much then because from what I can see, they are considered high. Also, live plants will help keep bio-loads under control slightly. Making a post and asking is a good place to start though. There are always people on these forums who will know something you don't or can give you advice maybe with better options based on your experience or setup.

If you get fish with smaller bio loads like that of Tetras, you can normally go over the 1inch per gallon rule. My tank is technically overstocked by 10 inches according to that rule but the only thing in my tank with heavy bio loads are my 6 guppies and my pleco. Some argue that Guppies have smaller bioloads, maybe my guppies pick at my plants to much then because from what I can see, they are considered high. Also, live plants will help keep bio-loads under control slightly. Making a post and asking is a good place to start though. There are always people on these forums who will know something you don't or can give you advice maybe with better options based on your experience or setup.
Agreed on everything. Guppies are filthy turd factories, plants eat bioload, and ask advice. Every newbie should read that lol

Agreed on everything. Guppies are filthy turd factories, plants eat bioload, and ask advice. Every newbie should read that lol
We all start somewhere! In the end, don't get discouraged Samdaman just keep educating yourself, that's the best thing you can do.
I have been fish keeping for a long time and still to this day, I always ask on here before buying a new fish.

I dont have a specific example. I was playing with it one day and just didnt find it super accurate. There are really too many variables for it to consider. I dont think a % is a great way to stock either. I can have my bioload stocked at 50% but swimming space wise maxed out. Or if you have live plants you can have extra bioload.
I just find a computer doesnt replace experience.

Aqadvisor is generally an excellent tool for a newcomer to the hobby. It can be a bit conservative though. If you are willing to track water parameters and change water religiously then it's safe to go up to about 130% tank stocking. As for godfan's experience with lack of swimming room, without knowing the exact conditions the tank was in then I can't really comment other than to say that the more stuff in your tank the less swimming room there is going to be.

Aqadvisor is generally an excellent tool for a newcomer to the hobby. It can be a bit conservative though. If you are willing to track water parameters and change water religiously then it's safe to go up to about 130% tank stocking. As for godfan's experience with lack of swimming room, without knowing the exact conditions the tank was in then I can't really comment other than to say that the more stuff in your tank the less swimming room there is going to be.

It wasnt a particular instance just an example of what can happen :)
I am willing to say aqadvisor is good of paired with experience.
I havent worked with it to see how it is on compatability but yall seem to highly recomend it.

It wasnt a particular instance just an example of what can happen :)
I am willing to say aqadvisor is good of paired with experience.
I havent worked with it to see how it is on compatability but yall seem to highly recomend it.

Ahhh I gotcha :) It's a great tool, just an all around conservative one. Even regarding compatibility but there's absolutely nothing wrong with that.

Back
Top Bottom