Am I overstocked

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Samdaman

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have 2 female fighters 1 male( he gets moved in and out a bit) 3 male guppies 3 females, 3 female mollies and 4 males and 2 platies boy and girl in a 25g tank.
I'm using it as a breeding tank (I remove fry)
I want to know if I can get more females

The fighters are there for aesthetics not breeding in that tank

Yes you are way overstocked, and you have all sorts of issues with the stock you do have.
Here is what aqadvisor has to say. AqAdvisor - Intelligent Freshwater Tropical Fish Aquarium Stocking Calculator and Aquarium Tank/Filter Advisor
Note: Betta [Female] can still become aggressive even if she doesn't show aggression right away. Not recommended to be mixed with peaceful community species. Also, they may jump - lids are recommended.
Warning: Betta [Female] is not recommended to be with Betta [Male] due to high male aggression.
Note: Betta [Male] may jump - lids are recommended. They can become stressful under presence of too many shoaling species. Try to keep under 1 shoal if the tank is small. Individual bettas may exhibit varying degrees of aggression and care should be taken that exceptionally aggressive/territorial fish be separated from a community before any damage may occur.
Warning: Betta [Male] is not recommended to be with Betta [Female] - further research is highly recommended.
Warning: Betta [Male] will likely to fin nip Guppy.
Warning: Betta [Male] is not recommended to be with Guppy - further research is highly recommended.
Suggestion: If you want to keep more than 1 Guppy, minimum recommend male to female ratio is 1:2 (M:F). You will be less likely to experience problem if you get even more females.
Warning: Guppy is not recommended to be with Betta [Male] - male betta may attack a male guppy by mistake thinking he is another male betta.
Suggestion: If you want to keep more than 1 Molly, minimum recommend male to female ratio is 1:2 (M:F). You will be less likely to experience problem if you get even more females.
Suggestion: If you want to keep more than 1 Platy, minimum recommend male to female ratio is 1:2 (M:F). You will be less likely to experience problem if you get even more females.

Recommended temperature range: 75.2 - 77 F. [SIZE=-1][Display in Celsius][/SIZE]
Recommended pH range: 7 - 7.8.
Recommended hardness range: 11 - 15 dH.

Recommended water change schedule: 40% per week.
Your aquarium stocking level is 143%.
Your tank is overstocked. Unless you are an experienced aquarist who can meet the maintenance/biological needs of this aquarium, lower stocking levels are recommended.[SIZE=-1] [Generate Image][/SIZE]

Yes!!!!!! The rule is for every inch a fish is or grows, a gallon is needed. Besides the mixture you have of fish is not good... They will die because of the fighting! :( I hope this helps!

Yes!!!!!! The rule is for every inch a fish is or grows, a gallon is needed. Besides the mixture you have of fish is not good... They will die because of the fighting! :( I hope this helps!

I have to say, I believe the 1" rule only goes so far. One example would be with plecos, which have a very heavy bio load compared to most other fish, with is why AquaAdvisor is such a great tool. It gives you a filtration/bio load score (you want this over %100), and tells you your overall stocking lvl. (Should be under %100) So like the first comment, there are many problems with the tank.

Yes yes yes! I agree completely! I'm saying that because it allows the person to have a better aquarium. I'm not too technical, I'm just telling the basics of aquariums

Yes yes yes! I agree completely! I'm saying that because it allows the person to have a better aquarium. I'm not too technical, I'm just telling the basics of aquariums

Ok, just clarifying, cause when I set up my first tank, that's what I was told (1"/g) which ended up not being completely true.

The 1 " per gallon is completely inadaquete. It does not work with any fish at all. Also aquaadvisor isnt the best thing to go by. It is ok but experience is best.

1inch of neon doesn't equal 1 inch of goldfish. Neons have a very small bio-load and goldfish huge ones. Advisor is a good place to start, but no it doesn't tell the whole story. Like GodFan said experience is always the best. I think your biggest issue is going to be aggression

I'm lost I've had those three fighters in there for two years no issues?

Once again that's terrible advice sorry its really not the basics of aquarium keeping. Here I go again with the extreme yet perfect example 10 inches of Oscar 10 gallon tank does not work at all.

If the three fighters have been in there for that long then just leave them they will be fine. The thing you need to remove is the mollies that's where your overstocked way to much bioload from them. I would also remove 1 male guppie and add 1 more female. You really need a 1M:2F ratio. Then if you remove the mollies add 1 more female platie. You really need 1 male to 2 females so he doesn't stress her to actual death.

You could probably add some more guppies to if you remove mollies or you could remove all the platies and guppies. Then cut your mollie number back to 1 male 3 females and your tank will be stocked just right.

Once again that's terrible advice sorry its really not the basics of aquarium keeping. Here I go again with the extreme yet perfect example 10 inches of Oscar 10 gallon tank does not work at all.

If the three fighters have been in there for that long then just leave them they will be fine. The thing you need to remove is the mollies that's where your overstocked way to much bioload from them. I would also remove 1 male guppie and add 1 more female. You really need a 1M:2F ratio. Then if you remove the mollies add 1 more female platie. You really need 1 male to 2 females so he doesn't stress her to actual death.

You could probably add some more guppies to if you remove mollies or you could remove all the platies and guppies. Then cut your mollie number back to 1 male 3 females and your tank will be stocked just right.

How about 40" of red tail catfish in a 40 gallon? haha

32 inches of endlicheri endlicheri bichir in a 32 gallon. Ok I'm done lol
The mollies are you main priority here. Those {like previously stated} have much too high a bioload for your tank. Get rid of them and you should be ok, like josh said try and get your guppy ratio evened out.

32 inches of endlicheri endlicheri bichir in a 32 gallon. Ok I'm done lol
The mollies are you main priority here. Those {like previously stated} have much too high a bioload for your tank. Get rid of them and you should be ok, like josh said try and get your guppy ratio evened out.

Haha it's easy to prove that rule is pretty inadequate :). But yes I agree about the mollies as well.

Even less extreme examples work. A 1 inch neon tetra simply doesnt belong in a 1 gallon tank for more than one reason. Terrible rule to go by. I understand its appeal to help simplify stocking and keep track of stocking but it is inadaquete. I made up my own method based in a point system but again it is useless without experience. I simply made it so I can keep up with stocking levels since I cannot absorb it all in a big picture kind of way.

:mad: guys, I'm just giving an estimate... I'm not that stupid!!! I'm sorry but that was rude and disheartened me greatly. I know there is MUCH MORE to it!!!!!!! I was showing the person why she needed another tank to keep the fish happy.

Hey guys I'm tired of seeing you jumping people about the 1 inch per gallon rule. The poster meant to just give a very simple explanation that is typically a somewhat decent guideline. (Unless you use all of your stupid extreme examples) please quit attacking people like this. One iffy post and the poster gets two pages of hate? Come on.

Back
Top Bottom