Amano Shrimp: Suggestions?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Yao

Aquarium Advice Regular
I currently have a 20g long tank with 3 angels, 2 gouramis and 3 corycats. I want to add some algae eaters and was looking at the amano shrimp as a possibility. I read their profile in the other section and I'm not sure if they would be suitable for my tank. As my angels get bigger, are they going to try to eat the shrimp? I have one of those glass covers on top with a gap in the back for the filter, does this mean they are going to escape? I also read something about how they might get into the filter. I have a HOB penguin filter, is this going to be a problem? Any other information about these guys would be helpful, and maybe suggestions for other algae eaters I can get. I'm looking for something smaller that will stay small, and something cute. Thanks guys! :D

Any kind of shrimp is going to be lunch in your tank. You might consider Paraotocinclus jumbo, or the "Pitbull" pleco as a very small (~2") algae eater, but I am concerned that your potential bioload is too great to add anything else. Long-term a 20 long is not big enough for three angels and two gouramis.

I know I have a lot in there for now, but I'm pretty sure I'm going to size up to a bigger one within the next 6 months to a year, I should be okay then, right? And what do you think is the longest I would be able to wait until I changed tanks?

It will really depend on the size that the angels are now. Definitely within 6 months you will start to see some trouble (if not in the next month or two) so I'd try to upgrade before then. If you get a bigger tank then you can look at some of the different plecos that stay smaller, and IMO they are the best algae eaters.

Back
Top Bottom