Ammo cycle complete

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ceej

Aquarium Advice FINatic
My soon to be Dwarf Puffer tank is finished cycling. 0-0- and about 90ppm of nitrates. Took 6 weeks to cycle. I took out my media and set it in the bucket that I'm draining 90% of my water into. As I took the media out, I noticed all three layers (AC20 - 10g tank) where filthy. My 29g wasn't this bad. My question is, should I replace the sponge, carbon, or rock? It's so nasty my bucket with the media in it is layered with brown flake like stuff. (Idk the proper name) should I replace 1 layer or just rinse it all off in the filtered water?

Nope just rinse the rocks and sponge in more dechlorinated water. Get rid of the carbon. I haven't used any carbon with my AC 110s and 70s. I left the carbon sitting inside their original packaging under my tank.

Terrance said:
Nope just rinse the rocks and sponge in more dechlorinated water. Get rid of the carbon. I haven't used any carbon with my AC 110s and 70s. I left the carbon sitting inside their original packaging under my tank.

So because you don't use it nobody should?

If you wanna clean the the rocks you can use a clean new toothbrush, just squeeze and rinse the filter pads in tank water an you should be good.

So because you don't use it nobody should?

If you wanna clean the the rocks you can use a clean new toothbrush, just squeeze and rinse the filter pads in tank water an you should be good.
Alot people dont use carbon in their filters because it really isnt necessary unless you are trying to remove meds or odors (which a tank shouldnt have anyway). It becomes ineffective after a few wks & serves no purpose other than acting as media for bacteria to grow on. Why spend additional expenses on something that really isnt necessary?

Ditch the carbon. I only use it if I need to remove something like ich meds.... gives me more room for bio-media.

Thank you for all the input. Rinsed it out in the siphoned water. I think I may remove the carbon bag and let it dry out. Just gonna keep it for emergency. After a 90% pwc, nitrates were still sky high! Hopefully after another 90% pwc tomorrow, I'll be ready for a DP!

Back
Top Bottom