Ammonia

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Sorry I have no experience with that one. Nor am i sure of which species a platypus falls into. The only platypus I've heard of is a duckbilled one and I sure hope you don't have them crammed in a 30 gal lol!

Rodeo. Why do u think its the plattys?

Last edited by a moderator:
By API? I know with mine my readings were wonky nitrates were sky high even after doing water change after water change all night and it ended up that I wasn't shaking the bloody bottles

Sorry Bron, just trying to be funny. Good old autocorrect , it gets all of us. Hope u get the ammonia figured out :).

Last test was 4.0

I've done 2 50% water changes in the last week

The ammonia in the tank is at 4ppm!?
I'd recommend 50% PWC twice daily until you get that down. Maybe do 75% on the first one.

Is it possible you forgot to treat replacement water at some point and accidentally killed off all your BB? Or maybe you replaced a filter pad and didn't realize you were throwing away all the BB inside?

I did replace filter media but that was during my ammonia nightmare. How do I replace filter media w/o losing some BB?

So filter sponge and charcoal never get replaced? And what about the bio media?
I'm relatively new to this. I have an aqua clear 50

So it sounds like you had a mini-cycle (reason undetermined) and, for some reason, you replaced your filter media. This removed a lot, if not all, of your BB... Which turned your mini-cycle into a biggie-cycle. So now it's like you're doing a fish-in cycle which means you'll need to do big, frequent water changes until you can rebuild the tanks BB.
I feel for you... Hopefully you'll be able to get through this without losing any fish.

Going forward, ignore the directions about replacing the filter pad monthly. Instead, just swish it around in a container of water from your tank to get rid of the surface gunk.
When it looks like its getting close to falling apart, then place the replacement filter in next to the old one for 2-4 weeks so that it can have its own BB colony established when the time comes to finally toss the original.

Good luck

What is filter floss

Filter floss is what your Aqua Clear pads are made of, minus the charcoal and not formed into a little rectangle. Some people just stuff their filters full of wads of this stuff instead of using the pre-made pads. I'm told it just as effective (possibly more so) and a lot less expensive.

How about the charcoal. Can that or shoul that be replaced monthly

Is your charcoal separate from the filter pad, or is it inside it?
I don't believe BB will grow in the charcoal itself, so if its separate then I suppose you could replace it as often as you like. It's my understanding that charcoal loses it effectiveness after a few months anyways.

Back
Top Bottom