Ammonia Issue

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

abw0004

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Hello everyone,
If you have been on the forum the past week, you are probably getting sick of me posting so many questions, but I have been stumped on this one and have gotten conflicting advice. My tank has been cycling for a little over 3 weeks now with fish. For the past week my ammonia reading have been between .5 and 1 with Nitrites at 0. Last Saturday I tried adding Microbe-Life (bacteria in a bottle) with no avail. That was returned. Tuesday I did a 50% water change with the ammonia level not changing at all and Wednesday a 40% water change with no relief. I went to the store and had them check the water and the readings were the same so I asked them what to do and they told me to wait until Monday to do another water change. I went to another store and was told the same thing. On here I read to keep doing water changes so I am conflicted. The ammonia won't move and the nitrite won't either. The fish seem happy though. Help? Thanks!!:facepalm:

The best advice I have is . . . . don't make it too complicated or stressful. Have you test your tap water? I would start with that as it could have some ammonia in it. I suggest you test only every 24 hrs unless you have something extraordinarily high. I don't know all of your tank parameters but here is my experience; 10g tank with 1 male betta took 8 wks to fully cycle, nitrites showed up in week 6, ammonia ranged from .25 to 1 at varying times. There were a few days I did multiple water changes in one day. My 46g tank had ammonia typically .25-.5 & nitrites showed up in week 4 I believe. So, they don't all do the exact same thing.

I have a 25 gallon fairly heavily planted tank with 5 tetras and 4 guppies. There is also a clown pleco and two snails. I have also been careful to not over feed or let excess food fall down too. Would it be best to wait on the water change?

I would let the water test tell you when to do the water change. I did a 50%+ if my ammonia or nitrites were >.25 or if my nitrates were >20.

The best advice I have is . . . . don't make it too complicated or stressful. Have you test your tap water? I would start with that as it could have some ammonia in it. I suggest you test only every 24 hrs unless you have something extraordinarily high. I don't know all of your tank parameters but here is my experience; 10g tank with 1 male betta took 8 wks to fully cycle, nitrites showed up in week 6, ammonia ranged from .25 to 1 at varying times. There were a few days I did multiple water changes in one day. My 46g tank had ammonia typically .25-.5 & nitrites showed up in week 4 I believe. So, they don't all do the exact same thing.

I agree. At this point, do lots of small water changes, stay away from the "bacteria in a bottle" or any other chemicals of additives. Use a good water conditioner when doing water changes, Prime is a good example and just sit back and let the filter do its job, it will cycle and you won't have any more issues.

Also, when you change water, don't heavily vacuum your gravel for now, get the poop off the top, but just mainly just suck the water out

Sent from my SCH-I435 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I know most people are against using chemicals to help, but a way to keep the fish healthy during the process is API AmmoLock. Somehow it converts it to non toxic for the fish. Just a way to keep their stress level down while doing water changes.

I know most people are against using chemicals to help, but a way to keep the fish healthy during the process is API AmmoLock. Somehow it converts it to non toxic for the fish. Just a way to keep their stress level down while doing water changes.

Using prime as the water conditioner well neutralize the free ammonia the same way.

Sent from my SCH-I435 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

bunny, I was speaking in reference to the water that will stay in the tank. I use conditioner before I add...but the water that remains, ammolock somehow converts it. Dunno the science, I will let the lab guys figure that part out.

Were you able to test your tap water and, if so, what were the results? I would go ahead and test ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate so that you can get a baseline of what you are adding.

Back in 2012 my tap had 1.0 ppm ammonia, zero nitrite, and 10 ppm nitrate. Not knowing this would have made monitoring the tank during cycling very confusing.

Were you able to test your tap water and, if so, what were the results? I would go ahead and test ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate so that you can get a baseline of what you are adding.

Back in 2012 my tap had 1.0 ppm ammonia, zero nitrite, and 10 ppm nitrate. Not knowing this would have made monitoring the tank during cycling very confusing.

Here are the readings from this morning:

Tap Water-
Ammonia:0
Nitrite:0
Nitrate:0

Aquarium-
Ammonia: a little over 1

This is extremely confusing to me. Should I do another water change or wait until Monday? I also have PetCo's Ammonia Remover if I should use that?

They seem fine. Always swimming around. I just fed them and they all ate. Some of them go up and down the glass though

Here are the readings from this morning:

Tap Water-
Ammonia:0

Aquarium-
Ammonia: a little over 1

This is extremely confusing to me. Should I do another water change or wait until Monday? I also have PetCo's Ammonia Remover if I should use that?

Stop checking the water so much.
At this point since you have fish already in the tank, the only thing you can do are daily water changes if you can to relieve stress on the fish. You have a 25 gallon? It would not be much to change 25% to 50% occasionally to keep the ammonia down, by adding stuff to the tank you are creating an imbalance. Don't add anything other than your water conditioner when doing a water change. You cannot rush the cycling process, it takes a while. Your filter WILL cycle in due time.
Wish you good luck!

I have a 25 gallon tank with 5 neon tetras, 4 guppies, clown pleco, and two snails. It is also pretty well planted.

Stop checking the water so much.
At this point since you have fish already in the tank, the only thing you can do are daily water changes if you can to relieve stress on the fish. You have a 25 gallon? It would not be much to change 25% to 50% occasionally to keep the ammonia down, by adding stuff to the tank you are creating an imbalance. Don't add anything other than your water conditioner when doing a water change. You cannot rush the cycling process, it takes a while. Your filter WILL cycle in due time.
Wish you good luck!

Would changing the water everyday stress the fish too much? Or take the bacteria out of the water? The last water change was Tuesday andWednesday at 50% and 40% respectively.

Back
Top Bottom