Amzon Biotope Aquarium

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I love Cory's they are fun ot watch and really active, i only have 2 now, but i wanna complete the school. They love playing in bubbles.

6 Corydoras Catfish(Corydoras sp.) I don't know what species to get so I'll suppose the species is a Panda cory(2 in) 12 in. total
6 Otocinculus Catfish(Otocinclus sp.)(2 in.) 12 in. total
2 Angelfish(Pterophyllum scalare)(6 in.) 12 in. in total
1 pair of Cockatoo Dwarf Cichlid(Apistogramma cacatuoides)(3.4 in.) 6.8 in. total
7 Rummy Nose Tetras(1.7 in.) 11.9 in. total

this is the last fish list I could find. Angels are not good with Discus and I would be weary of the cockatoo cichlids too. Cories and rummynosed tetras (from what I've seen) do well with Discus. However, I don't mean to offend you in anyway by saying this, discus are not for anyone/everyone. The reason why I am saying this is it seems like the discus were just an afterthought and that you really haven't looked into the proper care for discus (and they need A LOT!!). They are expensive for a reason. Check out the discus thread and you'll see my point. Now, I'm not saying you should never attempt to keep discus. Infact, with the proper research, patience and dedication, I bet you would do just fine with discus. Just know what you'd be getting into.

Well, today I read a book about discus fish and got interested. I didn't purchase it but it seemed very informative. And I have this book called "The Complete Aquarium" and it has an amazon set-up with Discus and Angelfish and it could help me with this tank. And if I have to I will alter my species plan for the discus, they seem like interesting fish.

It has taken me over a decade to get up the gumption to keep discus.. Ive had spawning angles and I thought that that was just practise for the big show.. DISCUS.. It has always been a goal of mine to keep discus but I knew that it would be over my head for the time being.. I have read FAMA for 8 years and have read books on spawning angels and discus.. I want to get discus heath, and get a subscription to TFH so that I can continue to read Jack Whattly's view of keeping discus (there are more then one philosophy on the subject) on top of the research Ive done here... BrianNY has been a great help to me.. If you check the current discus discussion thread you will see how many questions I had about the subject! In other words I would suggest that if you have any questions that I didnt ask.. well go ahead and ask them.. :mrgreen:

ok would the tank be okay if I took out the cockatoo dwarf cichilds and the angelfish for 2(and maybe 3) discus. And add more tetras(if it is okay).Would I have to higher the temperature to at least 80 degrees Farenheight? Do I need to get a RO unit to keep Discus? Will the discus eat smaller fish such as neon and cardinal tetras?

If your really considering Discus you really need to read the discus discussion thread.. it is really good..
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/viewtopic.php?t=52048
I would put german blue rams with discus if it were me...
And angel fish are not really that good of a tankmate for discus because angel fish are more aggresive eaters.. and you would have to overfeed to get the discus fed wich is bad for water quality and what is bad for water quality is REALLY BAD for discus..

definitly keep the planted tank if you are going the discus route. It is good to see that you've already read a little bit on their care. Now go buy that book and make sure you have it on hand for reference.

an RO unit is very nice to have, but what type of water do you have coming out of your tap? If you are lucky, then you won't need the RO unit. Test for pH, kH, and greenmagi, can you list the others?

I also agree that the german rams are great tank mates. If you do want a schooling fish, rummynosed tetras are the way to go in my opinion. All those fish need the same type of water perams and from what I've seen, do well together. The only problem I could foresee is any kind of tetra trying to eat all the flakes before the Discus.

Oh, word of caution, no plecos... or at least be very careful. I have seen plecos attach onto the side of a Discus and start eating their slime coat!!!! 8O

Good luck in your research!!! BrianNY is the best guy around to talk about discus with :D

After days of research I think I should drop the Discus. As being only a kid I think I will not have the skills to care for this interesting fish. The expense scares me too ^_^ LOL.

I agree I started to keep discus however everything was fine, but then theres the money side of things. 8O . I am considering getting another tank and to try discus now that I have alot of money LOL :lol: . Depends if my parents let me get a new tank :(

I have re-read your entire thread and from what I've seen, your plan is excellent. Kudos for thinking and questioning about whether or not you should keep discus. You have plenty of time to "get your ears" wet (no pun intended) and then go for discus at a later time.

I suggest keeping the most recent stocking plan and keeping the plants as well. :)

Thanks Everyone ^_^! But the project will be poseponed for and unknown time. My mom is planning to move and it would be a hassle to move a 55 gallon tank. So it'll be a long time before I will be able to buy the tank and an even longer time to start it. Again thanks everyone for everything ^_^!

Back
Top Bottom