and the questions continue...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
wow thanks... didnt even think to check reviews... very mixed stuff... has me worried a lil... the place im buying all my stuff at is very trustworthy... ill get their opinions... thanks again meegosh...

I have a cascade 1000 on my turtle tank. It works pretty well in my opinion. I like the priming A LOT better than my Rena XP canisters. Some of the reviews say they are loud, I just put my ear up to both my XP3 and my cascade...no real difference that I can tell.

The main difference that I see is build quality and flexibility. The XP's simply feel rock solid and heavy. The Cascade I had actually came broken, but I got a free replacement part from bigals. The cascade is made out of very light plastic. There is also a bit more flexibility in how you want to hook up the inlets and outlets on the XP's. Hard to explain without a picture, but I found it very difficult to set this up for a turtle tank. The inlet tube was a fixed length, no add on tubes to put the inlet lower in the water. The outlet was too high up in the tank and basically made a waterfall in my bedroom. I had to do a lot of modifying to get it to work for a turtle tank, but it would be perfect for a tank that is actually filled to the top.

Would I buy it again? Sure, if I can get it for half the price of any other canister. It works, it filters, what more can you ask? haha

I have a Cascade 1000, 1200, and 1500. Both 55's each have a 1000 and the 150 gal has the 1200 and 1500. I highly recommend this brand. We've never had any issues with noise (in any of the four filters). Priming is a snap, the hose length can be customized if you buy the extra piece, and it has a handle to carry it to the sink for easy cleaning. I haven't had any negative experiences with this brand of canister.

hmmm.. thats what i wanted people with them with real experience... how long have you had them bs6749 and fishyfanatic... do they hold up long term? i did like the handle and they really are a great price... howbout the media that comes with it?... good? bad? any thing you guys are using thats better in your opinion?

I bought my first 1000 back in 2004. The other three were purchased in 2005. No complaints in the last 4 years. The Cascade brand was relatively new when I first purchased mine.

The filter comes with filter floss, a filter pad, and I believe activated carbon. I ditched the carbon and put in ceramic rings as I don't run carbon in any of my tanks. For the filter floss you can keep buying the precut stuff or go the cheaper route and buy batting from Wal-Mart in hte craft department. That's true with any filter though.

hmmm... hmmm... hmmm... i think im sold... i can get 2 cascades for less than the fx5 i was planning on and i was planning on the ceramic rings too... i think im sold...

Back
Top Bottom