Angelfish Questions (55 gallon)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GallonsOfFun

Aquarium Advice Freak
1. How many angels can I put in a 55 gallon (angelfish only tank)? I was thinking 5 or 6. Would it be bad to have an odd number as they pair up?

2. What about the male to female ratio? I can't see anywhere online where I can pick the gender. Does this matter or should I purchase them regardless?

3. Does the species matter? (i.e. does it make a difference whether I have 6 of the exact same species or 6 different species?)

4. Is it best to buy them as juveniles? If so, where sells them as juveniles?

5. How should I introduce them to the tank? I know they're territorial, should I introduce them all at once like cichlids?

Last edited:
You won't be able to tell gender in angelfish until the pair up. So they are not going to sell them in a specified gender so you really just have to buy some and see how it turns out when they get older. And even then it is difficult to tell. Buy them all when they are young. 5 or 6 doesn't matter they might not even pair up. Species does not matter. Yes, Juveniles. I got mine at petsmart. It's my only pet store. But a lot of stores sell them young. You can introduce them however. They are not territorial until they sexual mature and get older. So just add them at a reasonable time. As in don't buy one and then add another 3 months later. However you want to do it should be fine as long as they are all the same age. But im not an expert so.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom